Question

Iva Tutor
Tutor
Iva
Message 1 of 16 (2,776 Views)

2 minor design flaws in the HXD series

I know that these 2 flaws are systemic because I have owned both the HDX 16, and the HDX 18.  The problems occurred in exactly the same way on both systems.

1.  The screen touches the keyboard when it's closed and a wear pattern starts to form in less than 2 months.  It's due to the fact that the designers didn't create enough space to compensate for the fact that a human being would carry it.  Let me explain.  The screen bends slightly when pressed gently, while the lower half of the does not.  When you place the HDX in a carrying case the natural movement of your body causes the screen to flex inward, and make contact with the keyboard probably every step.  A rep from HP recommended that I place some kind of padding in between the screen and keyboard, but that's after the fact at this point. 

2.  The cases on the HDX series are too loose, and low frequency sounds can make them rattle/vibrate harshly.  It was so bad on the HDX 16 that I returned it, and purchased a Sony Vaio that was even worst on many other ways.  I kept the latest HDX (the 18) because the problem was minor in comparison to the previous HDX (the 16).  That's not to say that it isn't a constant annoyance.  A small amount of tightening on the trim would have kept this from happening.  That, or strategically placing some vibration dampening foam close to the speaker.  Oh well.

Here's hoping that the next series can avoid the same pitfalls.

Honor Student
JRSereno
Message 2 of 16 (2,734 Views)

Re: 2 minor design flaws in the HXD series

These two "minor" flaws as you call them are major design screw-ups as far as I'm concerned.  I've purchased four HP Laptops in the last 10 years and while I really like this notebook, the screen and sound problems are shaking my faith in the HP product.  My previous laptops were all excellent performers and other than having battery issues were exemplary in every other way.  HP ships out the HDX with a cloth protecting the screen which indicates that they are aware of this fault - however they make no mention of using a screen protector in any of the documentation I've seen.  The screen issue is not due to being carried or pressed by the owner - HP places the protective cloth in the laptop even in the box shipped from the factory - there's no "laptop bag" or operator error in that scenario.

What I want to know is how is HP going to fix this problem and take care of it's valued customers?  This should be a warranty issue.  Potential buyers beware!  I hope this is not an indication of HP's future direction - rush the product out the door and let the customer's be the guinea pigs...

Iva Tutor
Tutor
Iva
Message 3 of 16 (2,731 Views)

To bad to hear that you are having the same issues with HP.  It's very unfortunate that they either were too blind to notice, or willfully sent out the product with a defective design.  I had to stop using the cloth, because it had a tendency to make the laptop turn on in my bag, or just shutdown improperly when it brushed against the touch strip.  It's also unfortunate that HP (at this point) are unable to make these corrections.  I've sent in defective units, only to have them send back laptop in the same condition with the HD reformated.  This happened over, and over again.  I will be using a scratch remover polish, but the scratches will start to reappear within 2 months.  I'm planning on paying a tech to open up the HDX, and placing a few strips of foam to dampen the buzzing.  HP will not to this.

I have to disagree with you on moving the unit not having an effect on the scratch pattern.  I walk about 4 miles a day with the laptop on my hip.  That's thousands of mini-taps to the screen by the keyboard everday.

Top Student
Jordan2009
Message 4 of 16 (2,711 Views)

I have an HDX16T and I am having the same problem as you are. The area on the keboard is creating scratches on the LCD screen.

Its a manufacturing defect, because the frame around the keyboard is warped, and the gap between it and the screen is not wide enough. The screws that hold the frame actually push it up in certain areas (If you look at your laptop horizontally you will see the raised areas). These raised areas are rubbing agains the screen while it is closed and forming those etch marks. I contacted HP warranty support about it and they said they were going to repair it under warranty. After being without it for a week, they now tell me they will not cover it as it is "physical damage," and that apparently exempts them from repairing their own design flaws. 

I am strongly urging everyone with this problem to contact HP about it, and file a complaint with the Better Business Buero. HP is hiding behind their fine print and denying a manufacturing defect they are FULLY aware of and it is totally BOGUS!  If they get enought calls from the BBB they are going to have to do something about it. 

I will almost bet at some point there will be a class action lawsuit or major recall. 

Honor Student
Deybwah
Message 5 of 16 (2,626 Views)

Hi guys.

I have had the same issue with the LCD getting scratched when the HDX is closed. It indeed took roughly 2 months for this defect to appear. When I first noticed signs, I contacted HP letting them know. Unfortunately, I used this laptop for work and could not be laptop-less for 2 weeks during repairs. I actually ended up buying a HP slimline desktop as a temporary while they made repairs.

After many hours on the phone and being very direct with customer service, they decided to make the repairs with no charge. I talked with my case manager and told him that I was afraid the issue may happen again... he promised that if it did, he would take care of me. Well guess what? HP replaced the scratched LCD and also replaced the keyboard top cover and when I received it, I thought I was good....

The issue started up again immediately, this time I noticed it earlier than the previous time. I immediately called my case manager and informed him. After a long 2-3 weeks (I never got a call back and had to continue to call them), I finally talked to my case manager. He said he was waiting for his "higher ups" to decide what the action was. I insisted I wanted a brand new laptop shipped to me, while I continued to use the defective one. My wish was granted. They even threw in a few upgrades as compensation. I got the new backlit keyboard, an upgrade from 4GB RAM to 6GB RAM and 320GB HD to 500GB HD.

I just received my new laptop yesterday and fear that the same problem might occur... which is how I found this forum.

If anyone has any ideas as to how I could prevent the scratching, I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Namaste,

Dey

Iva Tutor
Tutor
Iva
Message 6 of 16 (2,605 Views)

Last year HP also gave me an upgrade when my old HP kept disappointing me.  While it looked pretty enough, it was still deeply flawed.  I switched to a Sony that was awful in so many ways, I won't try to count them also.  Well here are a few ways: browned out pixels, horrible back lighting,  poor port placement,  ugly design, etc.  When I got this one, I only had a few days before I had to leave for South Korea.  Initially I was very pleased with the package.  The sound was the best I'd ever had in a laptop, and the screen was perfect with only minor backlighting issues.  Then a month in something internally started to loosen, and the case started vibrating badly on bass sound.  After 2 months the scratches started to become visible on the screen.  It truly sad that this is still the best laptop I've ever had.  Sad that flaws like these still seem to exist, no matter who I buy my laptops from.
Honor Student
Pjain
Message 7 of 16 (2,442 Views)

I received my hdx on Monday. I will look into the issue if not will ship it back to hp. Thanks for the heads up...
Iva Tutor
Tutor
Iva
Message 8 of 16 (2,394 Views)

I think that if you want to keep the scracthes from forming again, maybe using that cloth cover might work.  What I mean is you should put it in between the screen, and keyboard to buffer them from one another.  I'm trying it out on my still scratched HDX to get used to doing it when I get my replacement unit (the head phone jacks just died too).
Honor Student
Pjain
Message 9 of 16 (2,378 Views)

Thanks...

Do you see a value in returning this peice and buying a different series...i would not like to keep a machine with scratches on the lcd's...

what would you do?

Iva Tutor
Tutor
Iva
Message 10 of 16 (2,353 Views)

If it's still working I'd say keep it.  For now it seems that HP has a pretty good price to performance ratio.  I've just had a particularly high failure rate that might not be an indication of HP quality in general.  If you have the frameless monitor, I'd say put a soft cloth in between the keyboard and screen to keep the scratches at bay.  Hell you can always return it with the 1 year warranty if you do have issues with it.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation