Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Hello,

I am still battling with the AMD graphics driver installation.
I have even uninstalled the antivirus entirely, but the problem is not yet solved.

From what I observed, the issue may not be with the graphics card,
I am suspecting that it's not working well with the INTEL (R) HD GRAPHICS DRIVER.
Or the Intel graphics driver on its own is not the suitable one.
This is because when I uninstall the INTEL graphics driver the AMD graphics driver installs successfully. But it does not work, and I see the hazard sign on it. And when the INTEL driver is reinstalled, the system goes blank and restarts during the installation of the AMD driver. And thus the system will fail to boot until I restore it to earlier state.

Please, help me also with the appropriate INTEL GRAPHICS DRIVER. Let me install it and see if it can work correctly with the AMD Driver. And if there's anything else you think can hinder the installation and cause the pc not to boot successfully, you can also advise.

The full operating system as I rechecked is: Windows 8.1 Pro N
HP Recommended

Hello,

Pease, the problem is still unsolved.

I have run the INTEL DRIVER UPDATE UTILITY from intel website to update the chipset as it automatically detected.

but it also fails to install,

I still need your assistance on what else I can do to solve the problem.

Thanks a lot.

HP Recommended
Hello,

I have now reinstalled windows 7 on the laptop and the performance is super.
the switchable graphics now is function​ing very well.

so I will continue using windows 7 while I wait to upgrade to windows 10 In the near future.

I Appreciate you very much.

thanks.
HP Recommended

Hi, I am having exactly the same problem. The laptop is an HP G62, core i5, with a ATI Radeon Mobility HD 5470.

Regardless of which driver I install for the Radeon, the notebook will simply shutdown a few seconds after startup. Often Windows will become corrupted, and I will have to restore.

What worked is the following:

- Switch off automatic driver installs for Windows 8.1

- Uninstall the Radeon video card

This will make the system completely stable, which proves that it's not a compatibility issue of Windows 8.1 for this laptop. The compatibility issue is with the Radeon video drivers, possibly in combination with the built-in Intel graphics drivers.

Please advise on a better fix. Because this fix does make my system stable, but also requires me to manually install drivers for every new piece of hardware that I connect.

Just for your information: the Windows 8.1 disc that I used is an official licensed version of Windows 8.1.

I did try it with an unlicensed Windows 8.1 Pro as well, but that did not make any difference.

HP Recommended

check again your driver that installed on the computer, try to find the original drivers from the vendor

HP Recommended

I already did all that.

So, after a lot of research, the problem is clear and the solution is actually simple. I am sure that the solution is not condoned by HP. But well, without it, we're either stuck with Windows 7, or an unusable laptop.

The problem is the Switchable Graphics. It simply doesn't work with Window 8.1, and I am guessing that the real solution would be to have Windows 8.1 drivers from HP. But I am pessimistic that they will ever do that.

So, the solution is to hack it yourself. And it's possible by reprogramming the DMI data in the eeprom of the laptop.

This post gives the gist of the 'fix'. Simply make the BIOS aware that it sould not enable Windows 7 features, by telling it that it's not running Windows 7. http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/100145-guide-how-disable-intel-hd-hp-g62-arrandale.html

IMPORTANT!!! Don't download that hpbfo100.exe utility from the previous link. That download is from 4SHARED, and that site has really taken a tumble lately. If you download the utility from there, your computer will run a huge chance of becoming infected.

To get the utility, register at this site, and download it from this topic: http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/27426-hp-g62-b51se-after-1-month-of-work-now-with-slic-2-1-...

After I set 'OS SKU' to 0, the Intel HD Graphics device disappeared from the Windows 8.1 device manager, and Windows reboots and works fine. I now only have the Radeon graphics, and it probably uses more power than the Intel HD Graphics. But what use is it to have power savings if your computer will reboot within a minute after starting up?

The real solution is of course for HP to present the correct Windows 8.1 drivers for their hardware, or to present a BIOS update with which the user can choose to switch on or off the Intel HD Graphics.

HP Recommended

I also found another place with a DMI utilities package: http://www.dreamsupport.us/downloads/windows-pc/HP%20DMI%20Tools/HP_V10B_DMI_Utility/

I'm not sure if you can use the newer HPBF185.EXE instread of the HPBFO100.EXE. But it may be worth a try.

Also one warning: leave all the other settings alone! Or at least: only change them if you have a guaranteed way to roll back your changes after you messed something up! In worst case you can render your notebook useless.

Before you change anything, make sure to write down the original value.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.