Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a pavilion dv7 notebook and for the last couple months I have been experiencing problems with my graphics driver.

It began with a notice that my driver was out of date, so I went to the AMD website and attempted to install the update. I ran the dxdiag tool to find that I have a AMD Radeon HD 6620G graphics card. I could not find my product on the list to manually install the update, so I tried the amd driver downloader tool and it had a problem recognizing my graphics card. I then tried to update it through the HP Support Assistance and that seemed to work for awhile.

Yesterday my screen changed to the lowest resolution and a notice came up that it wasn't recognizing my graphics driver. I have again tried to manually update from the AMD website. When that didn't work I downloaded the AMD driver downloader and after installing all it told me is that "your computer does not contain a proper graphics adapter" and closed the program.

I am uterally lost at this point, and any assistance would be greatly apreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

***** Disclaimer*****

This is NOT official HP Customer Support and I, as most other persons on this forum, do not work for HP. This is a peer-to-peer user supported forum for HP consumer class products. HP maintains no official presence on this forum and it is unlikely that HP will respond in an official capacity. Any reply from a HP employee represents their own opinion and not that of HP's.

AMD doesn't support the custom HP graphics system and will not provide drivers for it. Typically, HP doesn't provide "routine maintenance" updates and generally only releases updates to fix known issues. You could take the computer to a professional, however they will be capable of doing nothing more than I have suggested and maybe not even that much.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Please click the white KUDOS star to show your appreciation

Frank

***** Please click the "White Kudos" Thumbs Up to say THANKS for helping *****
***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP a1632x - Windows 7, 4GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6130y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6320y - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP p7-1026 - Windows 7, 6GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6450
HP p6787c - Windows 7, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 240
HP ENVY x360 m6-w103dx - Windows 10, 8GB RAM, Intel HD 520

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

When requesting assistance, please provide the complete model name and/or product number of the HP computer in question. HP/Compaq makes thousands of models of computers. Without this information it may be difficult or impossible to assist you in resolving your issue.

The above requested information can be found on the bottom of the computer or inside the battery compartment. Please do not include the serial number. Please enter the model/product information into HP's Online Consumer Support page and/or post it here for our review.

hp label.png

Frank

***** Please click the "Accept As Solution" on my post, if my help solved your issue *****
***** This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I don't work for HP *****

HP Recommended

My apologies.

The product number is LW460UA#ABA. Also, I am running windows 7.

I am continuing to try and trouble shoot and found that my computer appears to have two graphics cards; AMD Radeon HD 6620G and AMD Radeon HD 6750M

HP Recommended
do I need to re submit my question with the needed information to the fourms to get assistance?
HP Recommended

Here are the specs for your HP Pavilion dv7-6165us Entertainment Notebook Computer. According to the specs, this model supports Switchable Graphics and has two GPUs. The HD 6620G integrated into the APU and a discrete HD 6750M.

Please download the AMD High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver from your computer's support page. Next, delete / uninstall all graphics drivers currently installed. Reboot and install the AMD HD Graphics driver you previously downloaded. Did that resolve your issue???

If you want a more up to date driver, consider third party modifier http://leshcatlabs.net/.  - I recommend that you read and fully understand why driver signing enforcement needs to be disabled in order to load these drivers and what risks it may pose. You may also consider reading this HP Forum thread entitled How can I use the newest drivers for my ATI/AMD card?

Frank

HP Recommended

Thank you for your assistance. I did as you said in the second paragraph and my screen resolution is back to normal and everything else seems ok so far.

I did have one question. I went to open a video game to test if the graphics were all working before I responded and said they were, and a notice came up to say that my driver was out of date.  I am not very tech savvy so I am uncomfortable trying a third party modifier and worried about problems I may encounter with the information on the "How can I use the newest drivers for my ATI/AMD card?" forum thread. Do you know if HP or AMD is working on a more permanent solution to this issue (it appears I am only one of many people experiencing this problem). Alternatively, could I take my notebook to a professional and would they know how to more permanently fix my problem?

HP Recommended

***** Disclaimer*****

This is NOT official HP Customer Support and I, as most other persons on this forum, do not work for HP. This is a peer-to-peer user supported forum for HP consumer class products. HP maintains no official presence on this forum and it is unlikely that HP will respond in an official capacity. Any reply from a HP employee represents their own opinion and not that of HP's.

AMD doesn't support the custom HP graphics system and will not provide drivers for it. Typically, HP doesn't provide "routine maintenance" updates and generally only releases updates to fix known issues. You could take the computer to a professional, however they will be capable of doing nothing more than I have suggested and maybe not even that much.

Frank

HP Recommended

Good to know. Thanks for all the help man.

HP Recommended

Hi, I have the same problem
one question. in my video drivers I have a intel HD Graphics 300 and a Radeon Graphics installed, it's normal? i need to have this two drivers? Can I uninstall the intel Graphics for boost my system?

thank you.

Product number (P/N): QD977UAR

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Warranty has expired

HP Recommended

SOLUTION : unistall your old catalyst software.download the Catalyst 15.11 and install.All problems fixed

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.