Question

Honor Student
Zinomian
Message 1 of 5 (2,823 Views)

ATI Drivers for Pavilion dv6

Greetings,

I have a problem with the HDMI port, where the screen goes blank if I try to connect to an HDMI tv, and it ends up locking the entire machine up....

I had installed the latest ATI drivers from amd.com and thats when the problem started...I have since removed the drivers and did a driver clean up, installed the latest ATI HP drivers and seems to have corrected the issue, however, those drivers by today standars are quite old.

So, my question is, is there going to be any updates to the HP ATI drivers to bring them up to speed with the ones released by amd?  Is there a particular version HP would recommend for me to install from AMD?  Or are the ATI drivers provided by HP tailored for the hardware on my laptop and should not use those from amd?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Regards,

Julian.

Intern
JJLuvzU
Message 2 of 5 (2,811 Views)

Re: ATI Drivers for Pavilion dv6

I'd recommend always sticking with the software driver released from hp.com, the ones from AMD website are typically generic drivers that does have contain specific tweaks requested by HP.

Unless your dv6 has a refresh model coming out, otherwise I don't believe you will find any new/updated driver from hp.com.

Grad Student
neil_fl
Message 3 of 5 (2,803 Views)

[ Edited ]

@zinomian

the amd ati drivers are in c:\swsetup\

install it and see if it works instead

if not, update the driver and then check ?

Zinomian
Message 4 of 5 (2,775 Views)

I ended up downloading the drivers again from the HP website (had to use driver cleaner to remove the ones from ATI), and installing them, which got my HDMI port working again, however, those drivers are a bit old now, and do not offer some of the performance updates that are released on the newer ATI drivers....

So my questions is/was if HP was updating theirs, or if we could download a varient of the ATI drivers approved by HP....

Grad Student
neil_fl
Message 5 of 5 (2,751 Views)

Zinomian wrote:

I ended up downloading the drivers again from the HP website (had to use driver cleaner to remove the ones from ATI), and installing them, which got my HDMI port working again, however, those drivers are a bit old now, and do not offer some of the performance updates that are released on the newer ATI drivers....

So my questions is/was if HP was updating theirs, or if we could download a varient of the ATI drivers approved by HP....

you could search for a updated driver by ati thats approved by hp :smileyhappy: