Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Thanks, worked for me, except that I had to use a slight variation, I had to completely uninstall the driver, when I deactivated the computer just reinstalled the driver during restart, I am using an HP G62, thanks again
HP Recommended
Mine did not even pass the start up test it failed on the last part
HP Recommended

I had this problem too, sadly I didnt find real help online, but I managed to fix it.

This is what I did:

- Start PC, Hold F8

- Choose Safe-Mode

- Search Device Manager

- DIsplay Adapters (in my case Intel 4600)

- Right click, properties, driver, roll back driver

- choose yes

- restart computer

- you should now be back in normal windows, except that your resolution is weird

- Search Device Manager

- Display Adapters

- Check for Updates

- Update

- Restart

Fixed it for me

HP Recommended

Hi,

I tried the steps mentioned in the forum and when I uninstall device driver it works fine. However when the machine gets restarted , the Intel HD (R) Graphics Driver gets reinstalled again.

So when I restart my computer, I get black screen again.

what is the harm if I uninstall the driver and delete the driver set up files in my hp pavilion dm4 laptop?

Thanks,

Rakesh

HP Recommended

I had this on windows 7 sp1.  I use AVG Free antivirus and they tried to push a antother AVG componant ( some web safe, something). I Started to accept the push until I noticed it was a trial. right before the last step of installation I aborted the install. I had a partial install of a security software componant that was stopping my laptop at the black screen with moving cursor on start up.  I booted into safe mode and unistalled the AVG componant from the control panel / programs and features area. 

After booting into Safe Mode:

Uninstall whatever was installed last in "programs  and features". This worked for me. 

Then boot windows normally. 

HP Recommended
I know what the problem is but i just dont know how to fix it.
The problem is from the display settings, your computer must have been plugged-in to another monitor and the settings got saved to start-up to that monitor. I just had the same problem and i fixed it by booting the system to safe-mode and restoring the system setting to a previous date.
I just dont know how to switch between the monitors or if its even possible.

Here is where you could find the problem:
1)right-click on your mouse
2)press on screen resolution
3) you'll find that the display tap is selected on the monitor you are using. (In normal-mode)

But since you cant boot up in normal mode so you wont be able to know to which monitor is the system using.
Hope this will help someone to find a solution.
HP Recommended
hello guys, I am having.this problem

I removed my graphics card and wants to use the onboard gpu. I connected it with hdmi to dvi d cable from system to monitor and it works perfect. but when I install drivers for.the onbord gpu the screen goes black. I have tried running the machine In low resolution but to no avail. it only displays in safe mode. qhen uninstall the drivers In safe mode, it works perfectly In mormal mode. but I want touse tje onboard gpu for some.casual.apllications so I need help from yoh gurus to fix this issue.
system specs

hp compaq la2306x monitor
I7 3770k 3.5 ghz
8gb corsair vengeance ram
asus maximus v formula board
HP Recommended

Everybody maybe was wondering why my screen goes to black in normal mode and it works in safe mode

mostly happens to dekstop computers  and 20% to laptop computers so i had this problem when a client came to me 

to fix his own computer the reason is that 

this happens to : 

Windows XP most : 

When you take any driver manager or utilizer to update your drivers 

they are just not the same as your computer requirements 

so you need to manually look at your computer brand model number and search manually in google 

for installing the drivers by your own also  ,

you may have installed VGA driver CONTROLLER 

that is not required for your computers so all you have to do to go to safe mode 

uninstall your latest vga driver and try to switch in normal mode 

thank you . 

best regards.

HP Recommended

Oh my gosh, thank you so much. I did exactly what you said and my screen is back.  Cannot tell you how much I appreciate it. 👍 Thank you!!!

HP Recommended

hi can I ask what solution worked for you?

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.