Black, or very dim screen (1066 Views)
Honor Student
jimheld
Message 1 of 8 (1,066 Views)

Black, or very dim screen

I have a HO Pavillion laptop. The screen is black or what I thought was black until teh sun hit it and i noticed a dill output. Also when you close the laptop about halfway teh screen will  come on full brightness, but it has to remain exactly in that spot and movement and screen goes black. An external monitor work fine. How do i fix the screen, seems  like this happens on every laptop i get

Top Student
snow_white_66
Message 2 of 8 (1,051 Views)

Re: Black, or very dim screen

Have you tried to adjust the brightness by pressing the brightness key?

Honor Student
jimheld
Message 3 of 8 (1,048 Views)

yes  no help.  like i said when you close screen halfway down screen comes on. so not sure its a connection thing or what

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 4 of 8 (1,043 Views)

@ jimheld

If you can see the screen faintly when the sun is on it, then your backlight system has failed. If it's a CCFL lamp(s) with inverter, then start by replacing the inverter, if that does not cure it, then the backlight(s) them selves have failed and you will need to but a new screen.

If you have an LED back light system you will need to buy a new screen as the backlights in this setup are an integral part of the screen and can not be replaced separately.

Another possibility here is the video cable has gone bad, they can become internally frayed and disconnected around the hinge area. This also may cause your symptoms, substitution  is the only way to trouble shoot if this is the case.

Let me know your full model number if you have anymore questions.

Teacher
Cioroianua
Message 5 of 8 (1,037 Views)

Hello,

As my colleague HaggisCat said before, is possible that the display cable between the laptop and the display to be broken.

However, I suspect that the micro switch or magnetic switch of the lid (I don't know what Pavillion model do you have) is broken. This switch lit your display when you open the lid or turn off the light when you close it. Also this switch "puts" your computer to sleep if the Sleep function is activated in Windows.

Best regards,

Andrew

Honor Student
jimheld
Message 6 of 8 (1,009 Views)

is teh magnetic switch repairable

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 7 of 8 (1,006 Views)

@ jimheld

Copy and paste a link to this thread and send a PM to Ciorianua to see if he knows where the switch is and if it's replaceable. I haven't come across a laptop where I have actually seen this switch or if it's built right into the screen or in the lid somewhere.

Student
vote4greggors
Message 8 of 8 (806 Views)

Hello,

I was wondering if there was any conclusion as to how to fix this issue?? I am having the exact same problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation