Question
Black screen start up on Windows 8. Hp Envy 17 3070nr!! HElp plz!!!
Replies (22)

Top Student
relliscmh
Message 11 of 23 (2,177 Views)

Re: Black screen start up on Windows 8. Hp Envy 17 3070nr!! HElp plz!!!

I am having the exact same problem the with Envy 17t-3000.  I will give your workaround a try.  I did a Windows 8 "refresh" and it wiped all the software off my computer (left me personal files in tact).  So I have restored the factory image of Windowd 7 Pro. 

Waiting for all of the 7 software updates to complete and will then attempt the Windows 8 install again with your suggestions.  This is VERY frustrating.  I followed every recommendation for the upgrade from HP and this happens. 

My BIOS version is F.07 (the highest avaialble on the HP site is F.06).  I was told this was becuase I did custom upgrades to my laptop when I made the purchase.  But tech support assured me that everthing would work just fine with the upgrade. 

Honor Student
zeke43
Message 12 of 23 (2,172 Views)

The smart approach, if you're in no rush, is to wait for HP updates (confirmed working driver updates/support).

Myself, I'd already committed to the upgrade and was not interested in rolling back to Windows 7 if I could avoid it. So, the temporary workaround allows me to keep Windows 8 on my Envy, runs well enough to tide me over until new drivers are announced. To be sure, there won't be any heavy gaming going on and I will be happy to see all functionality return (brightness, switchable graphics, etc...) but, as you can see, it works great otherwise: http://screencast.com/t/edtFGNaHe
Honor Student
rotorrocket
Message 13 of 23 (2,147 Views)

Having the same issue.  installed W8 using the download method as well media.  Same result.  Flickering screen then goes black.  Was able to install the updated ATI driver but that didn't help.  Still went black.  Called HP and they deferred me to Microsoft.  Microsoft was of no help.  This is very frustrating and wasted a ton of my free time.  I will monitor this thread in hopes HP steps up to the plate to resolve this issue.  From what I've read, HP needs to update the BIOS for this machine.  Until then it seems like a waiting game.... :-(

Honor Student
LookRock
Message 14 of 23 (2,135 Views)

The workaround proposed by Zeke43 did not work for me.  I think it is a good suggestion and I don't understand why it didn't work.  I need my computer for work and decided to reinstalled Windows 7.  Did Zeke's method work for anyone else?

Honor Student
zeke42
Message 15 of 23 (2,123 Views)

I thought I'd post some screenshots of the steps I described above. https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B8LToBGSK9z2VG5lUUhXN3luUDg

I should also mentioned that after the fact I did attempt a Leshcat driver install (latest 12.9) and it did work but performance was occasionally laggy so I reverted to my initial workaround.
Top Student
relliscmh
Message 16 of 23 (2,075 Views)

The work around actually worked for me, but only after I restored my Windows 7 Pro factory image and immediately applied the Windows 8 upgrade.  I first tried the work by disabling the AMD video driver and updating the Intel video driver and had no luck.  I also tried doing a Windows 8 REFRESH - which wiped all of the installed programs from my hard drive - so I was back to square one anyway.  I'm up and running with Windows 8 using the Intel video driver until the ATI/AMD driver is released.  The only thing I have to do is dismiss the message about the missing driver each time I boot up.

Honor Student
zeke42
Message 17 of 23 (2,060 Views)

Strange about the missing driver message. I didn't get that at all. Of course, I performed this workaround in Safe Mode, so I didn't have any issues at all disabling the AMD graphics and updating the Intel HD 3000 drivers. Perhaps because in safe mode the laptop defaulted to the Intel Graphics?
Honor Student
rotorrocket
Message 18 of 23 (1,948 Views)

This thread has gone silent.  Has HP provided a solution or are we all waiting for one?

Honor Student
zeke42
Message 19 of 23 (1,942 Views)

@rotorrocket...for the time being, I'm content to keep running my machine with Radeon disabled. I was hopeful, earlier this week, when new Windows 8 64 drivers started showing up here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?os=4132&lc=en&cc=ca&dlc=en&sw_lang=&product=5180...

The first new one showed up on Monday followed by 2 more on Tuesday, so I thought a new graphics driver might be forthcoming but, no such luck.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I did give Leshcat drivers a try and they did work but not 100% so I figured, if I was going to compromise and live with a temporary solution, running Intel HD 3000 only for a while was probably better than screwing around with unsigned drivers.

I am anxious to get switchable graphics and brightness control back.

Honor Student
rotorrocket
Message 20 of 23 (1,908 Views)

zeke42 Thanks for the update.  I find it strange HP updated drivers other than the one required to get W8 functional.  Hopefully HP will come thru with an official solution.   Please keep us posted if one does surface.  I will do the same....  I'm assuming the driver issue is for all models with switchable graphic cards and HP will make this a top priorty.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation