Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I just bought an HP Pavilion dv6-6117dx notebook PC.It is set so that when I close the lid,the PC goes into 'sleep mode'.That is fine,however,when I close the lid,and the PC goes to sleep,there is a blinking light on the side of the closed PC,that is bright and quick annoying (and potentially dangerous,as i have epilepsy!) How can I change my settings so this doesn't happen?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That blinking light is normal for sleep mode and there isn't any way to change it, but you can change the action of closing the lid to go into "Hibernation" which does not have the blinking light.

Go to the "Control Panel" and find Power Options. Open that and click on "Change Plan settings" what ever plan you're on, it doesn't matter. Click on "Change advanced power settings" in that window.

Look for this in the screen shot and in the drop down box choose "Hibernation"

Hibernate.PNG

You will have to change it for "battery" and "plugged in". Hibernation puts the computer into a deeper state, but it's still quicker then booting up from a complete shut down and more importantly there will be no blinking light.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

That blinking light is normal for sleep mode and there isn't any way to change it, but you can change the action of closing the lid to go into "Hibernation" which does not have the blinking light.

Go to the "Control Panel" and find Power Options. Open that and click on "Change Plan settings" what ever plan you're on, it doesn't matter. Click on "Change advanced power settings" in that window.

Look for this in the screen shot and in the drop down box choose "Hibernation"

Hibernate.PNG

You will have to change it for "battery" and "plugged in". Hibernation puts the computer into a deeper state, but it's still quicker then booting up from a complete shut down and more importantly there will be no blinking light.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much! That worked!

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.