Question

Honor Student
jsrip2012
Message 1 of 7 (456 Views)

Brightness keys won't work or brightness button in taskbar

I am running Windows 8 64 bit on a HP Pavilion g6-2213sa, which was recently bought.

I am unable to use the brightness buttons i.e f2 and f3, however the audio, wireless and display buttons work apart from these. Also I typed into windows 8 search 'brightness' to find an application etc to turn the brightness up or down and it came up with the application which was in the bottom right corner, in the notification area. However when i went to click on it, it said that that it was unavailable and had a cross going through the icon and the icon was grey.

I really need the button back for saving battery and because it strains my eyes when it is too bright. Also when i turn on power saver for the battery, the brightness stays the exact same too.

Teacher
SCTaylor
Message 2 of 7 (441 Views)

Re: Brightness keys won't work or brightness button in taskbar

Can you upload a screen shoot of that brightness icon using the snipping tool.

I work for HP.
Please click the White Kudos star on the left to say thanks.
Please mark Accept As Solution if this resolves your issue.
Honor Student
jsrip2012
Message 3 of 7 (435 Views)

Yeah, it's here                              brightness icon.png

Grad Student
MattM
Message 4 of 7 (429 Views)

have you tried restarting your notebook? i had the same issue with my old DV7-2270 running windows 7. Restarting always fixed it.

PhD Student
PeaceLily
Message 5 of 7 (423 Views)

I had this same "brightness unavailable" problem on a brand new Win8 computer. I still haven't figured out what causes it, but as a workaround, I used the HP My Display application. Check and see if that's installed on your computer, and if it isn't, here's a link to download it. I hope that works for you.

Please click the thumbs up button to say "Thanks!"
Clicking "Accept as Solution" on a reply that solves your problem makes it easier for other people to find solutions.
I work on behalf of HP.
Honor Student
jsrip2012
Message 6 of 7 (417 Views)

Thanks will try it in the morning
Honor Student
jsrip2012
Message 7 of 7 (399 Views)

Thanks but it doesn't work still, the slider to adjust the brightness doesn't work at all. I had heard somewhere that plugging in logitech devices could disrupt the quick button driver causing them not work but all of them work except the brightness? I have just bought the laptop, so is it worth taking it back?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation