Question

Student
kayr55
Message 1 of 2 (14,837 Views)

Built-in webcam not working

[ Edited ]

I bought an HP Pavilion dv6 laptop around a year ago, and it came with a built in webcam. I rarely used it until a couple months ago, and it worked fine at first. A couple times, however, instead of displaying what the webcam sees, it displayed a green screen. This sometimes happened when I adjusted the screen angle. I was normally able to fix this simply by restarting the computer.

Yesterday, the screen came up as green again:

This is what it looks like when I open the HP MediaSmart Webcam program. The same green screen appears when I attempt to use the webcam on other applications such as Skype or Windows Live Messenger.

I've Googled methods to try and fix this, but all of the methods that have worked for others have not worked for me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Some details about my computer: I'm running Windows Vista 32-bit, on a HP Pavilion dv6 notebook laptop.

EDIT: I contacted HP Support via chat, and found out that it is a hardware issue and the notebook needs to be sent in for it to be fixed. However, I am still not sure why restarting the computer fixed this in previous incidents.

Tutor
Angelgirl90
Message 2 of 2 (14,760 Views)

Re: Built-in webcam not working

Hi, I had the exact same issue with the webcam on my dv6 1360us. I spent months being fustrated trying to figure out what was wrong, and not getting any answers anywhere from anyone, so I contacted hp and they suggested I send the laptop in to them for repair, which I did, and turns out the issue is with the webcam cable. They repaired it and sent the computer back out to me, and it is okay now. I did have an issue where the webcam would disconnect when the screen was moved forward, and I did not have that issue again until 2 days after I got it back from repair, but I did notice it did not disconnect if I pushed the screen forward from the back and not grabbing it from the top and pulling it down, so I'm okay with that now, have yet to see that green screen again, I'm really hoping the webcam stays in working order from now on, so just send your laptop in to them, they will repair it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation