Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
I have HP Pavilion dv7 7003 - tx laptop which has 17.3" FHD display. I have 2 simple questions that I have not found anyone has asked before.

First question. I can easily adjust laptop brightness under Windows 7. But BIOS screen has full backlit. Normally it is not a problem (because of the black screen ie "Press the ESC key for Startup Menu" and Windows Logo in black background). But when I access to BIOS setup or upgrade BIOS (of course occassionally), it is undoubtedly noticable that this laptop backlit is full before Windows startup. When I connect the laptop with a HDTV via HDMI, BIOS setup screen backlit is bearable in TV screen (according to TV setting) and Unbearable (ie full backlit and white background of HP BIOS Setup) in laptop screen at the same time. So it is a laptop screen setting problem. I want to adjust the brightness of the laptop screen regardless of Windows startup. Can I reduce the brightness of BIOS screen in laptop monitor?

Second question. Can I set laptop screen to something like "Fit screen"? Currently it is set to something like "Stretch screen". I do not like the streched Windows Startup Logo. However, under Windows I can play games of 4:3 resolution in something like "Fit screen" setting.

Thank you.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

No the F2 and F3 keys don't have a function within BIOS. The screen cannot be brightened or dimmed inside BIOS.

For the screen resolution question, the resolution set within Windows should also be the resolution on the login/Welcome screen. Try resetting your resolution within Windows (without an external monitor attached) and restart it a few times to see if the resolution sticks throughout the startup process. Let me know the results when you get a chance.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hey arnobpl, 

I'm sorry you're running into these display issues.

First with BIOS brightness, you can use the F2 and F3 keys. They should work in BIOS and should only change the brightness of your laptop's internal display.

F2 = Dim

F3 = Brighten

For your second question, you can change the resolution in Windows to fit your desired aspect ratio. Simply right-click in the free space on the Desktop and click Screen Resolution. Shift the Resolution notch to change it. The larger the numbers, the more pixels are on the screen, the smaller icons and text will be. With smaller resolution number, you'll have less pixels on the screen and icons and text will appear larger.

Let me know if you have any questions 🙂

HP Recommended
Hi AxshunJaxun,

First question:
F2 and F3 keys for brightness only work under Windows but not BIOS screen. I have tried both only F2 and (fn+F2). Is there any solution?

Second question:
In the question I've meant that the Windows Logo screen (ie 'Starting Windows' screen but not welcome or login screen or anything else) is slightly stretched (ie 4:3 is stretched to 16:9). Though it is common in many laptops, I want to know whether I can adjust aspect ratio of 'Starting Windows' screen.

And thank you for reply!
HP Recommended

No the F2 and F3 keys don't have a function within BIOS. The screen cannot be brightened or dimmed inside BIOS.

For the screen resolution question, the resolution set within Windows should also be the resolution on the login/Welcome screen. Try resetting your resolution within Windows (without an external monitor attached) and restart it a few times to see if the resolution sticks throughout the startup process. Let me know the results when you get a chance.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your confirmation that brightness inside BIOS cannot be changed in HP Paviliion dv7 laptop.

For the screen resolution question, the resolution set within Windows is  the resolution on the login/Welcome screen but NOT "Starting Windows" screen (Windows boot screen). And it is natural because Windows 7 boot screen is 1024x768(4:3). My Laptop screen resolution is 1920x1080(16:9). My laptop scale the Windows boot screen WITHOUT maintaining the aspect ratio (4:3 scaled to 16:9). It would be better if there were an option for maintaining the aspect ratio in my laptop screen. External monitor has an option for that. For example, Samsung SyncMaster monitor has an option - Display Mode: Auto OR Widescreen. But can I get an option for the laptop screen? I assume, there isn't.

HP Recommended

Try right-clicking on your desktop. Look for Graphics Properties or Graphics Options. You should have an Intel Graphics Settings Interface that you can make settings changes like that with.

HP Recommended

OK, I will try.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Let me know what you find. Screenshots would be really helpful as well. (How to create a screenshot?)

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.