Can't get audio to go over hdmi cable to my TV (video working fine) (75535 Views)
Honor Student
kennc
Message 1 of 22 (75,535 Views)

Can't get audio to go over hdmi cable to my TV (video working fine)

I'm trying to connect my Compaq 8510w to my HP LCD television. Once I connected a hdmi cable, I was able to use the Catalyst Controler to define my TV as a second output screen. Videos look great, but I have not been able to get any sound to go over the hdmi cable and come out through the TV.

Any suggestions on what I could try to get both video and sound to work through the TV would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Student
Satchelmouth
Message 2 of 22 (75,501 Views)

Re: Can't get audio to go over hdmi cable to my TV (video working fine)

Hello,

Have this problem intermittently as well. Fix ( for Vista ) is to go to Control Panel > Sound and make sure HDMI is set as default device with a green tick. When plugging in HDMI cable it should do this automatically but I have found it is flakey.

Hope this helps.

Tutor
jamesinoz
Message 3 of 22 (75,401 Views)

I have connected my TV HDMI output to the HDMI jack on my HP PAvilion DV-7 1105tx to set up to watch TV  with a HDMI connecting cable. However nothing is happening.

I have a NVIDIA Geforce 9600GT  video card installed.

I go into control  panel  then sound and I note that there is an option in Playback and recording for NVIDIA HDMI  output Audio  .  In both cases it says  not working   unplugged.  And the  configure  and set default  buttons are greyed out.

How do I fix this?

Thanks

Student
Brandi
Message 4 of 22 (73,137 Views)

Don't know if you ever got your problem figured out, but I had that problem with my laptop. As I was browsing this board I accidentally solved the problem. My computer froze so I shut it off (with the power button instead of the proper shut down). I did not turn off my TV though. When I restarted the computer the sound was again going through the TV. So in short, try leaving your TV on while you restart your computer and see if that fixes the sound. Sorry it took so long to get to the point. LOL! Hope that helps a bit.

Student
Larry92738
Message 5 of 22 (67,575 Views)

Did work until I added speakers to computer.  Now get the video but no sould to computer.

Honor Student
Oil_Scout
Message 6 of 22 (61,785 Views)

I have an Insignia 40" LCD 720P TV and I am trying to connect my HP laptop up to it with an HDMI cable. I get video but no sound. I am running Windows 7 OS. I have tried to change my playback settings to an HDMI option, but there is no HDMI option to select. Yes, there is an HDMI plug. Any help would greatly relieve a lot of frustration.

Student
Ratchelb
Message 7 of 22 (59,685 Views)

I had the option in volume controls but accidentally deleted it. Is there any way to get it back cause its getting really frustrating trying to watch something on my TV and the volume is coming out of the computer. Please help

Student
fzeidan11
Message 8 of 22 (56,109 Views)

Thank you!! Your advice really really helped. :smileyhappy:

Student
jodiecherl
Message 9 of 22 (53,119 Views)

i cant get sound too my t.v  when using hdmi, picture is clear just only sound from my computer. please help i,m new at this.

Student
Alfanut33
Message 10 of 22 (51,991 Views)

I am in the same boat.  I don't have an HDMI output as an option but I do have the Realtek digital output.  When I click that as the default, no sound associated with the video comes out but when I hit test, I do get the test signal to come through my receiver.  I am a bit frustrated  any help out there?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation