Top Student
ahsanshah93
Message 1 of 16 (1,680 Views)

Cannot Install NVIDIA GEFORCE 840M Drivers

HP Pavilion 15-n277tx Notebook

Cannot Install NVIDIA GEFORCE 840M Drivers

HP Pavilion 15-n277tx Notebook

Windows 8.1 Pro x64

I am not able to install the NVIDIA GEFORCE 840M Drivers on my notebook. I tried both the drivers on the hp drivers website for this model, and i also tried the one from nvidia website. Both give an error:

NVIDIA Installer cannot continue 

This Graphics driver could not find compatible graphics hardware

In my device manager, it shows under 'Other Device' as '3D Video Controller'

Please help me.

HP Support Agent
Sparkles1
Message 2 of 16 (1,629 Views)

Re: Cannot Install NVIDIA GEFORCE 840M Drivers

Hi ahsanshah93,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using the forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience in the HP forum, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand that you are unable to install the NVIDIA GEFORCE 840M Drivers. You have tried with drivers obtained from HP and the NVidia Website to no avail.

Have you done all your Windows updates?  Have you updated the bios?

If the preceding has been done, then try to update your chipset driver and then the NVidia driver. Here is a link to the  HP Pavilion 15-n277tx Notebook PC Drivers.

When I checked the specifications for the notebook, it listed Ubuntu as the Operating System. HP does support Windows 8.1 as we have the drivers and software. If you would like further assistance, would you tell me if Windows 8.1 came installed on the notebook or if you installed it.

Sparkles1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Top Student
ahsanshah93
Message 3 of 16 (1,623 Views)

Yes I have installed all the drivers including the chipset driver, and updates and have also updated the bios. I installed Windows on the notebook myself. It's just the nvidia driver which I'm unable to install. I tried installing chipset driver then the Intel HD driver and then the nvidia one but still no luck. I think the driver doesn't support the hardware Id of this notebook.
HP Support Agent
Sparkles1
Message 4 of 16 (1,598 Views)

Hi  ahsanshah93,

I regret that the driver still did not install.  I have done some more research trying to locate another driver for you.

Here are two that I would try. sp65231.exe which is just for Windows 8.1, I would try  first and it that will not install try this one  sp64574.exe.

If this has still  failed to install, I would test the hardware just to rule it out.Testing for Hardware Failures (Windows 8)

If the hardware passes. and  you are still unable to install the driver, the remaining options are to try another fresh install of Windows or contact HP technical support.

Please call HP technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region. HP Technical Support Sitemap

Please let me know the outcome.

Sparkles1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Top Student
ahsanshah93
Message 5 of 16 (1,556 Views)

I tried to install a fresh copy of windows. The driver still wont install. I tried changing the nvidia graphics inf file and added the dev and subsys and was able to get past the compatibilty error. The installation started but then it failed. I think the problem is with the driver itself.  It does not support my nvidia 840m's hardware id:

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1341&SUBSYS_2166103C&REV_A2

Student
Jefry35
Message 6 of 16 (1,466 Views)

Same problem here... 15-n277TX.. I installed with windows 7 64bits but no driver for 3D controller.. I tried driver that given by HP website and download from Geforce.com, given the same result.. Please help..

Top Student
ahsanshah93
Message 7 of 16 (1,463 Views)

Many people are also complaining on the GEFORCE forum regarding this issue. HP needs to make a compatible driver for this graphics card. The driver is not compatible.  I've been waiting for the driver since weeks!

Honor Student
manu101
Message 8 of 16 (1,351 Views)

[ Edited ]

i have the same issue. and could anyone tell me please who take the responsiblity for this? 

Honor Student
predator9254
Message 9 of 16 (1,345 Views)

Why this problem still not solve? I try many thing and the result still the same....:smileysad:

HP Support Agent
Sparkles1
Message 10 of 16 (1,297 Views)

Hi ahsanshah93, manu101 and predator9254,

Thank you for your replies.

I regret that you are sill unable to install the correct driver.

Please try the installation in this order,

1.update the chipset

2. install the Intel driver

3. restart your computer

4. install the NVidia driver

If you are still unable to install the driver. please contact HP support for assistance.

Please call HP technical support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region, please click the link below to get the support number for your region HP Technical Support Sitemap.

Sparkles1
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation