Question

Honor Student
Kaizo
Message 1 of 5 (13,369 Views)
Accepted Solution

Compaq Presario C700 Video Card

I have a Compaq Presario C700 Laptop (C769US) and I was wondering if I'd be able to upgrade the video card to be able to play Fallout 3, which I just bought yesterday. The card that's in here right now is "Intel 965 Family Chipset" or something along the lines of that.

I'd like to put this in here:  http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8761878&type=product&id=1202650704648

Will it go in? My dad said something about PCI and AGP, I don't know how to figure out if mine is PCI.

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks ahead of time.

-Chris

Provost
Huffer
Message 2 of 5 (13,336 Views)

Re: Compaq Presario C700 Video Card

If you laid the video card next to the laptop I think you would see that there is no way to put it in there. The video card is almost as big as the laptop. We are getting just tons of these posts here these days. But the answer has not changed. There is no upgrade to your video that is remotely possible in this lifetime on this planet. Can't be done, no way no how. The video is a chip soldered to the motherboard with the traces set to work only with that specific chip. Even the best ubertech with mad fine soldering skills could not make anything else work. When you buy a laptop get the graphics and processor you want and need for now and the future. If you need something better it means a new laptop not an upgrade 98% of the time. When you buy a game check the minimum system requirements and see if your computer can meet them.

Sorry if I seem a bit harsh but as I said we are getting 2 or 3 of these questions every day and I blame the computer makers (HP, for example) and retailers like Best Buy for not educating the public on what they are buying. 

Honor Student
Kaizo
Message 3 of 5 (13,311 Views)

Gotcha.

I'm 14, have been saving all my life...this was all I could afford. Believe me, I would have gotten the most expensive gaming rig I saw, but money doesn't grow on trees. (Not for most people atleast)

It was about $700 (Not going to lie to you but my parents helped a bunch, I put about $400 into it). I was lucky, it had been $1000 but marked down, ALOT.

Well, thanks for telling me. I'll study up on computers some more, gotta know something about them if you wish to persue a career that involves them.

Thanks again.

-Chris

(By the way, I found a way to make it work, it's still not an Nvidia or an ATI but atleast it works a little)

Provost
Huffer
Message 4 of 5 (13,267 Views)

As I said I did not mean to be harsh. The newer generation of the integrated Intel graphics is actually capable of 3D acceleration and will play some games. They are a lot better than just a few years ago.  You probably figured out you can turn down the visual effects and play a good number of games with the Intel video.
Honor Student
trishdatta
Message 5 of 5 (4,977 Views)

Hi,

Read the above comments but there are some ambiguities,

this machine has got a intel mobile 965 gm board and according to Intel datasheet the board has got a" 16 lane pci express port for external pci based graphics card"

So it should support external graphics card, but again my experience suggests that it would not.

however moving on to the main problem,I have very recently replaced the LCD, which was damaged due to a strong impact, and after putting my new LCD, the screen is absolutely garbled, however when I am using the safe mode in winxp, the screen works fine(albeit at 800x600p). Then again I uninstalled my graphics driver and logged on to xp pretty normally,except that I was able to reach a max res of 1024x768p.again reinstalling the driver did not help at all. So could it mean that I have replaced with the wrong LCD or is it that my onboard graphics card is damaged and if it is, can I save my system without replacing the entire mainboard.

Need advise on this ASAP. Thanks in advance  :smileytongue:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation