Question

Honor Student
Garion
Message 1 of 13 (24,542 Views)

Compaq Presario CQ60-114EM Black Screen

Hi

I have a Compaq CQ60-114EM and the screen is totally black, walked away from it last week to get a coffee came back no display. Laptop is working ok otherwise attached VGA monitor to it that works fine so able to work and check out system. No access to bios because of failed screen, monitor will not boot as primary. Am I correct in understanding that there is some intergration with the processor and the Nvidia video chip? Could this have failed due to heat? Suspect screen at fault but any other ideas folks.

Honor Student
mankind
Message 2 of 13 (24,505 Views)

Re: Compaq Presario CQ60-114EM Black Screen

yeah same manufacturer
Student
akash
Message 3 of 13 (24,209 Views)

Hello Mate,

Have you been able to fix your laptop?

Student
mtbers
Message 4 of 13 (23,597 Views)

if this is the HP Compaq Presario CQ60 that comes stock with 3gb of memory the problem seems to be that the two memory sticks are incompatible, remove the 1gb stick and every thing should be fine. my mate had the same problem with his HP Compaq Presario CQ60, so pulled it apart and noticed that there was something with the memory. there was a cheap 1 gig samsung stick and another 2gig transcend stick. Removed the 1 gig stick and hey presto every thing was working fine.
Honor Student
Garion
Message 5 of 13 (23,586 Views)

Thanks for the info unfortunately that did not make any difference but good try. What I did notice which may have been the way the light was on the screen is that I have a faint display and that the screen was not black at all and the problem is that the backlight has failed? Can anyone confirm this as a problem with this model?

Honor Student
Garion
Message 6 of 13 (23,486 Views)

Hi Guys. Yup! I have solved the problem I notice that I have a very faint image on the display which means that it could be a backlight issue this was using my experience of 24yrs in the IT industry. So I thought why don't I replace the inverter first rather that the whole panel, picked one up off of Ebay for £6.00 swapped it out and temporarily assembled the machine and bingo!! it works. Saved myself £63 on a new display boy am I pleased.

Regards

Malc

Top Student
ccruiser
Message 7 of 13 (23,461 Views)

Hello,

I think I might have the same problem.  Can you tell me what you purchased on eBay to make it work?  I have a HP Pavillion dv2910 laptop that is a couple years old.  All of the sudden, I can't get the screen to work (have no memory upgrades), and am having problems getting it to show up on the TV with my VGA cable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Student
sunny2zmax
Message 8 of 13 (21,392 Views)

Help!

2 year old presario screen has blackened.  Only can view with lamp directly on the screen; however the computer still works fine---just can't read the darn thing.  What are the best and least expensive solutions?

Thanks

Sunny::smileyindifferent:

Teacher
mancy_techno
Message 9 of 13 (19,382 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

You should determine the exact component that is causing the issue of a black screen.

For this, restart the computer first in Safe Mode.

Before troubleshooting, first take a backup of all the system files.

Then determine which component is causing the problem.

Find the extent of the damage caused by this problem.

Then measures should be adopted to solve the issue.

If the issue cannot be solved by you alone, then HP customer care should be contacted.

Get more information to fix black screen issues on a HP compaq system :

http://supportforhp.iyogi.com/compaq/black-screen-3.html

Hope this information helps you.

Set peace of mind as your highest goal,and organize your life around it.
Student
DanGrissom
Message 10 of 13 (18,994 Views)

Hey  mine went black out in less than two years  I was working on it and it just froze on me. and I came back and restarted and got blank screen  I tried reseating ram, restarting it without battery and power on but nothin came up on screen  I put i back in the cupboard and restarted it after few weeks  it came up to safe mode screen and then went to blue screen and rebooted to a blank screen again I just don't understand why it won't give any display eventhough it boots up  I tried reseating memory and all no go  its only two years old and maybe used 10-15 times and thats it I took it to the hp center but the guy was a ripp offhe checked ram and said its good but motheboard needs replacement/repair

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation