Question

Student
rfrantz50
Message 1 of 2 (189 Views)

Computer Lagging--High CPU Usage Message

My hp pavilion dv7-3183 with nvidia geforce video card and Windows 7 operating system slows down significantly (Lags) on an intermittent basis.  I will then often receive the error message "High CPU Usage by X Program" (sometimes Firefox, sometimes MaxSea, whatever program is in use)  Being connected to the internet doesn't matter--it happens when not connected as well as when connected.  I've tried running the diagnostics on the CPU and graphics card, but it doesn't show any problems.  Any help would be much appreciated.  thanks

Regents Professor
ManjunathTech
Message 2 of 2 (181 Views)

Re: Computer Lagging--High CPU Usage Message

Hi

You have a couple of options as I see it please try these steps might help you.

Msconfig

Update Bios & Graphic drivers from HP website.

Look at the tasks that may be running on your computer.

Right click computer and select manage and the top of the list is scheduled tasks. Browse all of them !

If its something that you don’t really need running or use often then disable it or remove it completely.

Also, look at your taskbar and count how many icons there are. Remember that each one of those are a program running.

If you have more than 10 total , I would recommend trimming it down a bit.

Programs often install start up programs that are not needed and can be safely removed or disabled. The windows icons are not usually an issue, so don’t worry about the speaker, battery, or network icons, etc.

You can also right click the taskbar and bring up the task manager and look at running processes. Some may not mean anything to you where as others you may recognize and go to the program itself and disable it.

Let us know how it goes!

*Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

*Did my response help with your issue? If so, please give me Kudos by clicking the "Kudos" button. Thanks!

Regards

Manjunath

Let us know how it goes!

"I work for HP."
****Click the (purple thumbs up icon in the lower right corner of a post) to say thanks****
****Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem****

Regards
Manjunath
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation