Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I have an EliteBook 8470P with the AMD Radeon 7570M display adapter.  I am looking to use to external displays as well as the laptop display.  Can I use both the VGA and Display port outputs to accomplish this without purchasing a docking station?  And are there any settings that I need to change to do this?

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

Hi JD325,

Welcome to the HP forum!

Thank you for your query, I will try my best to assist  you.

I understand you would like to use external displays with your computer. Here is a document on HP Notebook PCs - Guide to Using 2011 and 2012 Business Notebooks with External Displays. I am also including HP Notebook PCs - Connecting to a Monitor, Projector or TV in Windows Vista, for your information.Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Can we use the DVI and Display Port in the docking station plus the Display Port in the laptop to get 3 external monitors working?If yes, how? Been trying it out but can only get 2 screens to work. Thanks...

I have the AMD variant of the said laptop.

HP Recommended

HI MaxX,

Welcome to the HP forum!

Thank you for your inquiry, I wil do my best to help.

I understand you would like to connect external monitors.Elitebook 8470p User Guide.

Please note  page 9 , on the back you should have an external monitor port   to connect a VGA monitor or projector, page 12  shows that you have a Display port on the right hand side , which supports a high performance monitor or projector. Here is a document on  Using Two or More Monitors with One Computer (Windows 😎, that should help.I hope this has answered your question.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I can get 2 monitors to work but I want to add a 3rd external monitor. In combination with the docking station's DVI and Display Ports, can I use the display port located in the left side of the laptop to add the 3rd monitor? The moment I use that port, the DVI losses it's signal. Is what I am doing not possible? Thanks...

HP Recommended

Hi MaxXx,

Thank you for your response.

When you tried to connect a 2nd DVI it will cause it to loose the first DVI connection.  It will only send the signal to one port or the other. To use 3 monitor you would need to connect with an USB adapter. Adding a Monitor Using an HP USB Graphics Adapter. Here is a link to a YouTube video on it connecting 3 monitors. Please let me know the results.

Sparkles1

HP Recommended

Ok, thanks. So without the USB adapter, we can't physically have 3 external monitors. That is what I have right now but the USB adapter is a bit sluggish. Thanks anyways..

HP Recommended

Max,

Simply plug in two monitors out of the dock's DP and DVI port.

The third display connects to the laptop's DP port.

Best of luck, and enjoy!

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. When plugging the 3rd display to the Display Port of the laptop, the DVI port losses its signal.

Regards

HP Recommended
Hmm, are you using Win7?

Also, I have the DP on the dock set as default display (1)
Works fine over here.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.