Question

Honor Student
bunyette
Message 1 of 12 (6,579 Views)

Connecting Envy 14 to VGA display

Hi there

I bought the Envy 14 (1002tx) knowing that it required a converter to display through VGA.  I bought a HP HDMI to VGA converter and have had no success so far.

When I plug the converter into the HDMI port my notebook display changes (to a lower resolution) so it's definitely picking up that it's connected.  However when I attempt to connect to the interactive whiteboard or another monitor I can't get anything on the second screen.  The whiteboard reports that there is 'no input detected'.  Has anyone had this problem and solved it?  I am a teacher so I desperately need to be able to connect to the Smartboard for my classes.  I have never had this problem with any other laptops, including the school laptops (they all just work once you plug into the VGA port). 

If I had known that it wouldn't work I wouldn't have bought the Envy. 

Thanks in advance.

Top Student
NAGA_SID
Message 2 of 12 (6,560 Views)

Re: Connecting Envy 14 to VGA display

Hi, While I do not have a solution, I am facing a similar problem. I have not been able to source a HDMI to VGA converter till now and now I get to know from your post that it doesnt work either. I echo your sentiment that if I had known this, i wouldn't have bought a ENVY either!! I am a trainer and I am pretty paralysed too. I haven;t been able to get tot he right person in HP India for this and all the calls to the call centre have been pretty useless. I am planning to file a consumer court case in India next week based on this issue. NS
Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 3 of 12 (6,548 Views)

@ bunyette - So is this happen on AC adapter or Battery Power... The Envy 14s are equipped with Switchable graphics, so based on the power source, it switches between integrated graphics to discrete graphics card... And with regards to resolution lowering, is it happen just by connecting the HDMI to VGA adapter? 

Here is like to latest graphic card driver, kindly install it and check... ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp50001-50500/sp50027.exe

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
Honor Student
bunyette
Message 4 of 12 (6,501 Views)

I installed the graphics update but still no success.  There is no recognition of my computer when connecting to any external screen at all.  So frustrating!

Student
beefolk
Message 5 of 12 (6,030 Views)

Hi,

I am having the exact same problem! I am trying to connect through VGA to a monitor or projectors and through both the Mini and HDMI port, there is no signal.I have tried multiple products for the Mini and HDMI port and nothing I have tried works!

I have been able to get the Mini port  to work with a Mac adapter for DVI.

I really need to connect my computer to a VGA connection for presentations. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Student
sonnybernales
Message 6 of 12 (5,758 Views)

I also have the same problem. I need to connect to a VGA monitor but I haven't done that yet because I haven't found an adapter yet from VGA to HDMI-USB. This was not the reason why I went to this forum.

I was trying to get on this forum to see if anybody is experiencing the same problem as I am experiencing with my laptop. My Envy 14 is not behaving properly. It is giving me a multiple displays. For example, while using an Excel, there will also be a display at the top overlapping the icons/commands. The cursor will be at two places and when I go the top one, it will disappear.  It is frustrating:smileymad: as it covers the commands/icons at the top.  I also experience it with AutoCAD and Window''s Live e-mail software.

Honor Student
Dan_UK_11
Message 7 of 12 (5,530 Views)

This is so Tiring & frustrating... 

I have: -spend a day reinstalling my drivers & BIOS, -bought the adapter but its not working... on BIOS F.23 & ATI driver 8.771.1.0

I am beginning to feel that this ENVY 14 is a pain in the*** rather than a Premium Laptop from HP with Voodoo desgin

Honor Student
bunyette
Message 8 of 12 (5,524 Views)

I managed to get mine working some time ago - it ended up that I had to change the preferences for display... I had to change it so that it stayed on high level graphics all the time.  This worked but I can't remember exactly how I was able to change it.  Since then the battery life drains quite quickly but at least I can hook it up to screens. 

sd1 Student
Student
sd1
Message 9 of 12 (4,758 Views)

I am also seeing the same issue on the Folio 13. The voodo adaptor when plugs in via HDMI just makes my native screen go blank, and gives me an error message on the slave screen (via VGA). Have tried different resolutions on my main screen based on other advice (that says both screens need to share the same res)but with no joy.

currently I have a $50 paperweight and no external screen to use??

Intern
traf12
Message 10 of 12 (4,653 Views)

On my Folio it works like this: right click on desktop>ScreenResolution>Advanced Settings>Intel Graphics and Media Control Panel>Graphics Properties>Advanced Mode>Press OK. In Advanced Mode, go to Display, General Settings, and select the Digital Display HDMIBOX, which is your Dongle connection, and select the proper resolution for the second screen. Then select Multiple Displays field on the left, and set the Operating Mode (Extended Display or Clone).
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation