Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I have a HP Pavilion 15t-n200 laptop computer and I'm trying to hook up an external monitor. 

I tried connecting directly to a monitor with an HDMI cable and this didn't work. So I bought a HDMI to VGA adaptor, and still no luck.

In both instances, I hooked up the monitor and pressed the F4 key to select how I select the other display. But none of the choices: Duplicate, Extend, or Second Screen Only seem to work. In fact, nothing happens when I make any of these selections. 

Am I missing a step?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended
Hi

Have you tried pressing Fn+F4 key together and see.

Update graphic driver (nvidia or amd) , BIOS from your product site too if the above don't work either.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?cc=us&lc=en&product=6787863

Regards

Visruth
HP Recommended

Still no luck. 

I updated the BIOS and the video drivers and it's still not working. 

Pressing Fn F4 opens the selection for how I want to view the external monitor. And clicking something makes the laptop screen go black and then back on. (Unless I select Second Screen Only, then the laptop screen stays black). But the external monitor never displays anything.

HP Recommended

@JKinnicutt wrote:

Still no luck. 

I updated the BIOS and the video drivers and it's still not working. 

Pressing Fn F4 opens the selection for how I want to view the external monitor. And clicking something makes the laptop screen go black and then back on. (Unless I select Second Screen Only, then the laptop screen stays black). But the external monitor never displays anything.

What is your operating system?

Follow this document -

Connecting a Monitor, Projector or TV (Windows 😎

Go through Page 23, 24 in this manual

NOTE:

To see the computer screen image on an external VGA monitor or projected for a presentation, connect a monitor or projector to the computer's VGA port.

To connect a monitor or projector:

1. Connect the VGA cable adapter to the HDMI port.

2. From the monitor or projector, connect to the VGA port on the computer

3. Press f4 to alternate the screen image between 3 display states:
● View the screen image on the computer.
● View the screen image on the external device (monitor or projector).
● View the screen image simultaneously on both the computer and external device.

Each time you press f4, the display state changes

Additonal Read: Connecting a TV or Monitor to your Windows 7 PC using HDMI

HD Graphic drivers need to be updated only if HDMI to HDMI is port is connected. 

If nothing works, change the adpater and cable and see.

Regards

Visruth

HP Recommended

I am running Windows 8.1 and my laptop has a touchscreen (I'm not sure if that makes a difference). 

I am still having no luck. In fact, I bought at USB Monitor adaptor, and this won't even work. This is an Eclipse UV150.

I'm running out of things to try.

Any ideas???

HP Recommended
Last suggestions I have, unfortunately, are these:

Try hard reset (remove all the external peripheral devices, battery, AC adapter before hard reset)
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768

Then before pushing the power button, read the following & promptly follow it-

Reset BIOS to defaults:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bph07110

Did you change the cable & adapters are check if it's their problem?

Regards

Visruth
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.