Re: DEAD Compaq Presario V3000 (2808 Views)
Student
lesta
Message 1 of 9 (11,881 Views)

DEAD Compaq Presario V3000

[ Edited ]

DEAD Compaq Presario V3000

V3412TX

s/n: <text removed for privacy>

p/n: GN412PA#ABG

I have a dead compaq presario v3000 with the same display problems as a majority of the laptops of this model has.

Firstly computer was crashing with flickering/distorted display, thus figuring it would be the overheating of the video card.

Now after a couple of days it has no display at all. All lights on but no display. Have done a bit of google now and read of the countless of same problems alot of people have!

Now I know that the video card is fried and the only option is that it willl need a motherboard replacement. However have read countless times that even a motherboard replacement won't fix this faulty design and the same thing is going to happen and I would be wasting $500 for nothing.

However for my model there is NO enhancement warrenty which would have taken me right up to next month as laptop was purchased on 28 July 2007.

Now I have spoken to customer service in regards to this and said that I will not be reciving any enhancement warrenty for this problem because my laptop is not listed on the list. I have all symptons of the same problem even within the same time period. I don't think this is acceptable.

I think compaq should front up with replacement of a faulty product as even replacing the motherboard will have the same problems! It is just a useless piece of junk now!

Am I wrong?

Thanks for reading.

Message Edited by WendyM on 10-22-2009 07:23 AM
Honor Student
jasmin96
Message 2 of 9 (11,614 Views)

Re: DEAD Compaq Presario V3000

Hi,

Im having same issue as you..at first the screen distort and after sometimes the screen goes blank..i had refer Hp service center and they tolad me it is motherboard issue..unfortunately my laptop is out of warranty n for motherboard it will cost me RM1,200.00. this is not including installation fee which cost around RM300.00. So HP staff advise me to buy a new laptop or sold it as second hand to computer shop..after all this model is sucks..

Student
Tess01
Message 3 of 9 (11,479 Views)

We too are very disappointed that our Compaq Presario v3412TX requires a new motherboard and its not even 2 years old. From time to time the screen has frozen and then two weeks ago when we tried to restart the computer all we got was a blank screen, lights on, one long beep and two short beeps and no boot up. After looking on the internet it looked like it could be the graphics card and the repair shop has just gotten back to me to advise, that yes the computer needs a new motherboard at a cost of $1090!

I've just phoned Compaq to see if this product has any recall on it, but no......this is crazy as it's clear there are others with a similar issue with this product.

I'm no techie but can't help but feel it's possibly an overheating issue, affecting the connections??

We also have an older model compaq which has been working like a charm for the last 3 years, but I'm nervous about replacing the affected computer above with another compaq for fear of the same thing happening again. We are lucky that we do have an extended warranty on the laptop so it will be replaced, less depreciation of course + another extended warranty, someones making a buck here...... but I'm still peeved that our computer is buggered!

Top Student
Amonty
Message 4 of 9 (10,475 Views)

[ Edited ]

Guys I have V3133AU and same problem. ANyone has any idea if this can be a simple task of replacing the Nvidia GPU or the motherboard has to be changed entirely?

Any pointers how much this repair will cost if done self or privately repair (not with HP). HP customer service is crap I have heard and they even damage the laptops when sent to them.

Does any of you have solution that works for you?

Many thanks,

Monty

Provost
CherylG
Message 5 of 9 (10,442 Views)

Reflowing Nvidia chip has become somewhat of an art. There are hundreds of videos on You Tube showing different procedures...if you know someone good at this sort of thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MGvJCMQFis&feature =related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnkQNmKauEc&playnext_from=TL&videos=iwVYWjDuwhA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w45tZPVcj4c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR8L3B3eDr0

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Student
xiaoofu
Message 6 of 9 (9,857 Views)

i did reflow my v3000 (nvidia chip) and it's solved my problem but i only can use my laptop for next 30 days before the problem come again. Now Reflowing Nvidia chip cannot work on it, maybe i need to change the chip. Is there anyone can show me how to desolder and resolder the chip. tq

Student
jellyFish999
Message 7 of 9 (9,590 Views)

i'm having problem with my laptop,compaq presario v3500, it can't turn on. when on/off button pressed, it just on the light for a few second and it become off. many time i try to on it, but still same. what should i do?? how 2 fix it??

thanks.

Provost
CherylG
Message 8 of 9 (9,565 Views)

This guy reports a high success rate>>

Nvidia Black Screen Repair:

******Clicking the Thumbs-Up button on the left is a way to say Thanks!.******
**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue to help others who are searching**
Tutor
Saptarshi-Roy
Message 9 of 9 (2,808 Views)

Read this blog which pertains to your issue http://hpindialies.blogspot.in/

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation