Question

Top Student
lessien
Message 1 of 19 (1,862 Views)

DV7- 3165dx will not play blu ray

I have a HP Pavillion DV7-3165dx and it will no longer recognize a blu ray disc and takes about five minutes for it to load a regular dvd.  I have had my computer for about a year now and I have not had this problem until about two weeks ago.  It started with taking a while to load the dvd to not reading blu rays at all.

I have tried blu rays that have worked in the computer before and they do not work now.  I continue to receive the message that there is no disc in the drive.

I have looked through the forums and tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drives but that has not helped.  I tried updating anything to do with mediasmart, but that hasn't worked either.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 19 (1,860 Views)

Re: DV7- 3165dx will not play blu ray

[ Edited ]

This may sound ridiculously simple, but have you tried cleaning the lenses ?

If this dos not work, install a trial of Power DVD 11 to rule out any hard ware issues.

We'll start with these two things for now.

When you say "uninstalling and reinstalling the drives but that has not helped" I am going to assume that you have gone into the device manager and uninstalled the drive there, is this correct ?

Are you running Commodo Fire wall, AVG Anti Virus and/or any virtual drives like Daemon Tools ?

Top Student
lessien
Message 3 of 19 (1,850 Views)

Thank you very much for your quick response.

Yes, I have tried cleaning the lenses.  At least I think I have.  The only thing I have is a CD/DVD lens cleaner and I did try that to no avail.

I installed the Power DVD 11 and it still did not read the blu ray.  I still go the message that there was no disc in drive F.

Yes, I mean that I went into device manager and uninstalled the drive there.  I was reading through the board and saw that solution so I tried it.  It didn't seem to help.

I am running AVG Anti Virus and have been for a couple years now on this computer and my previous computer.  Can this start to have an effect on my dvd drive?

Thank you again for your suggestions.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 4 of 19 (1,843 Views)

Here is a solution from David concerning the AVG problem.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-TV-Tuners-and-Media/HP-Mediasmart-DVD-is-reluctant-to-play-BD/...

My other concern that I have is that your CD/DVD, Blu-ray Optical drive is drive "F". Have you repartitioned the hard drive ?

Should be :

C for your OS

D for recovery

F HP Tools

E Optical Drive

This may have something to do with the problem, but I don't want to go their yet, but Power DVD 11 should have worked.

We'll eliminate AVG from the equation first.

There have been a few where David or myself have not been able to solve.

Top Student
lessien
Message 5 of 19 (1,838 Views)

I made a mistake last night.  I don't have AVG on my computer, but SuperAntispyware.  I used to have AVG and I began to have problems with it awhile back so I uninstalled it.  Sometimes I get confused and still think I have it.

I also have Norton, and went through the settings and made sure that Mediasmart was on the 'allow' list.  I did still do  everything that David suggested with uninstalling Mediasmart and then reinstalling it, but it didn't work.  The DVD's seem to run a little bit faster, but the blu ray still will not work.

As far as I know I have not repartitioned the hard drive.  I know only the basic stuff for computers unless someone walks me through it.  Unless it was done unintentionally, I don't think I did it.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 6 of 19 (1,824 Views)

[ Edited ]

Lets see if Windows is even seeing the Blu-ray movie. Go to the Control Panel and find Auto Play and select "Take No Action" for a Blu-ray movie _ save the setting by clicking the "Save" tab in the lower right corner.

Load the movie and go to "Computer" and should show there as a BD ROM and give the title of the movie.

If it does right click and select Power DVD11 to try and play it.

If it still won't play then install Image Burn and restart.

http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Load the disc again and run Image Burn and select "Create Image Files". Select the drive letter that the Blu-ray is in and then choose a destination folder where to put the image, like video's or where ever. You will get a warning that it's a copy protected disc, but continue. Let it run until it tells you how long it's going to take _ it should be around an hour.

If you can't do any of the above, then we'll have to assume the drive itself is defective or there is a problem with Windows not seeing the Blu-ray disc and we'll have to figure out what to do about that.

Power DVD11 is an up to the minute Blu-ray player and pretty much in all cases it will see the BD Drive and play the movie.

The Fact that it's not working has me worried a bit.

Top Student
lessien
Message 7 of 19 (1,817 Views)

Thank you again for your quick response.

I changed the controls for Auto Play and then loaded the movie.  When I went to my computer all it stated was that there was a BDrom F drive but  there was no title so I was unable to try and play it in PowerDVD11.

I installed Image Burn as well but when I tried to run it, it told me that medium was not present and that the tray closed.

I really do thank you for all of time you have put into helping me.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 8 of 19 (1,813 Views)

Please take a screen shot of disc management. Right click on "Computer" and go to "manage". In the left column click on "Disc Management", maximize that window and post it on the site. It won't show until one of the mods. approves it.

To take a screen shot use your "snipping tool" in all programs (it's under "accessories).

Ounce the shot is taken click on the "Tree" symbol and it will give you the option to browse your computer to post.

Windows is not even seeing it, when you put a movie in (any movie) the title and the size of the movie will show up in Computer beside BD-ROM Drive and it should say "BD-ROM Drive" with the designation letter beside it, in your case "F".

In Image Burn dose it say drive "F" like in the screen shot (in my case it's drive "E") ? If it doesn't, does it show anything else in the drop down box as a drive that Image Burn is seeing ?

BD-ROM Drive.PNG

Top Student
lessien
Message 9 of 19 (1,810 Views)

[ Edited ]

In image burn it says '[1:0:0] hp DVDWBD TS-LB23L (F: )'.  It does not show any other drive in the drop down box.

Capture.PNG

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 10 of 19 (1,805 Views)

[ Edited ]

We'll wait for the mods to show the picture and see what's happening in disc management. I am going to staples this morning and check out some other machines to see how the drive letters should be, but I don't think the Optical drive should be drive "F" and I am not sure how it got that way.

If the drive letters are not correct Windows will not see the drive and I just want to be sure before I tell you that the drive itself faulty.

After all this we'll reinstall the driver ounce I find out about disc management pending the screen shot.

This process can take a little time to eliminate all possible causes.

Do you have another laptop with an optical drive ? One way of testing the drive is to change them out, they are all a standard size, so they will fit _ it's very easy to do and I will tell you how to do it, if it come to that.

I was also looking back through the thread and you said you had cleaned the lens. Did that involve you actually taking some isopropyl alcohol and a Q-Tip or soft cloth and physically cleaning the lens or was it just one of those CD's you put in, that's supposed to clean it.

The other thing that you need to check for is to see if there is still an AVG folder that needs to be deleted.

Click on drive "C" and open Programs Files (x86) and look for a folder named AVG, if there is one, right click to delete it and restart.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation