Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

So for a while now I've been using my laptop while it's plugged into my tv. But the parts of the screen are cut off (the top, left, right and bottom, which doesn't make sense since there is no reason to cut off all sides) I've seen guides telling you how to disable the overscan in the video card settings or in regedit but the thing is, I HAVE NO VIDEO CARD. The guides online assume you have one, but I don't my laptop is as plain as it gets. How can I disable the overscan (if possible)?

I have searched through my tv's settings but have found nohting even remotely related to overscan settings.

I have a hp pavilion 15-n221sa running windows 8.1 and I'm trying to get the display to work on a samsung le46b650 tv.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The overscan problem is from the TV, NOT from computer. Do you still have its manual ? Please check it or try:

• Turn on your Samsung high definition television set using its remote control.
  • Press the "Picture" button on your Samsung remote control one time. This will change the aspect ratio of the image that is being displayed on screen. This will also let you see all of the various "Picture" modes that are available to you on your Samsung TV. For example, the "Full" picture mode displays the image in full screen and will display all of the image, including the parts typically cut off by overscan. The "Stretch" picture mode will horizontally stretch an image composed for an old, square television set to fill up all of your rectangular-shaped Samsung TV screen.
  • Continue to press the "Picture" remote button until the picture mode selected is one you are happy with. Then, press "Exit" on your remote control to exit the on-screen menu system and return to watching TV.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

The overscan problem is from the TV, NOT from computer. Do you still have its manual ? Please check it or try:

• Turn on your Samsung high definition television set using its remote control.
  • Press the "Picture" button on your Samsung remote control one time. This will change the aspect ratio of the image that is being displayed on screen. This will also let you see all of the various "Picture" modes that are available to you on your Samsung TV. For example, the "Full" picture mode displays the image in full screen and will display all of the image, including the parts typically cut off by overscan. The "Stretch" picture mode will horizontally stretch an image composed for an old, square television set to fill up all of your rectangular-shaped Samsung TV screen.
  • Continue to press the "Picture" remote button until the picture mode selected is one you are happy with. Then, press "Exit" on your remote control to exit the on-screen menu system and return to watching TV.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

That worked, thanks. But out of curosity does can you possibly modify overscan on the pc's end? 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.