Question

Honor Student
cjw76
Message 1 of 4 (1,245 Views)

Display Problems - Screen fades to black after a short period of use

Hi

I have a Compaq Presario CQ61-415SA and initial the display failed completely (no back light) and the only way to use the laptop was to plug into an external monitor.

I followed the advice on HP/Compaq support site that suggested it was an inverter problem, so I bought a new one but that did not resolve the issue. The next advice on the support site pointed to an LCD problem so I replaced the LCD.

Now the laptop will power up, with a working display but after 1-5 minutes the backlight switches off. Plugging in a monitor will show the display as well as force the backlight into operation again. If I unplug the attached monitor the backlight remains on, but only for a short period again.

The initial problems all seemed to start after the HP Support Assistant software updated itself and may have updated the Bios. I have done a system restore on the laptop, but the problems persist.

I am presuming the restore should have returned the Bios back to its original state?

Has anyone else experienced issues like this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, so far hugely disappointed with all the problems that have occurred within months of the warranty running out and what appears to be the result of an HP/Compaq software update!

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 4 (1,234 Views)

Re: Display Problems - Screen fades to black after a short period of use

[ Edited ]

I can answer one question, the restore will not return the BIOS before it was flashed. The BIOS is a separate chip on the system board and is not effected by any reinstallation of the operating system.

So you might try flashing the BIOS to your previous one.

The most recent one is F.15 and ironically it's supposed to fix a black screen problem, assuming that this BIOS is the root of the problem.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-84080-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

To check what BIOS your are actually running, type in System Information in the Windows search box and see what you have now. Sometimes the HP Support Assistant can flash the wrong one, but if it did that 99% of the time it bricks the computer. For this reason don't let the HPSA flash the BIOS, go to your support page yourself and do it.

The other thing to check is go to Power Options in the control panel, click on change plan settings to what ever plan you are on and see what the laptop is set to to turn the display off _ either plugged in or on battery.

Honor Student
cjw76
Message 3 of 4 (1,208 Views)

I have tried applying the original BIOS and checked the power settings but the problem still occurs.

It seems the display only stay powered up for a minute then it briefly flickers and you hear a short whirring sound before it fades out.

I am at loss as to what to try next?

I am guessing it is probably a hardware fault somewhere else other than the inverter and LCD which have both been replaced.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated....

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 4 of 4 (1,203 Views)

[ Edited ]

I am pretty much fresh out of ides, the only other thing is the video cable, but the symptoms don't point to that. A bad video cable will cause intermittent flickering of the screen and/or back light.

My only other suggestion is to assume there is something wrong with the mother board itself. To be sure it's not software or driver related, it would be a good idea to do a full system recovery. If it still does it, then I would assume that the mother board is at fault.

This is just my opinion from what is here in this thread, you may want to go to a repair shop and see what they have to say. Keep in mind the age of the machine (how ever old it is) and your personal time and money you have in to it so far.

Sometimes you have to cut your losses, but a new or used MoBo from e-bay may work out. Buying one from HP is out of the question, you would be better of getting a new laptop. The part number for the MoBo is underneath the RAM sticks.

Do the system restore first to put it back to factory specs, who knows what the HPSA installed, maybe the wrong video driver.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation