Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

I have a Compaq Presario CQ60. The Display does not appear to be working. When I turn on the laptop

the display remains black. No boot up screen, nothing.

I can't go into the bios because I have no screen. The screen remains black.

The harddrive appears to be working and all other functions appear to be working but I am not sure because I have no screen.

Is this a known issue with the Compaq Presario CQ60?

How can I fix this problem?

Thanks

Alex Hernandez
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It looks that the display panel should be replaced.

Does your notebook is still under warranty?

If yes please contact with HP. How to do it?
Check the link below and choose your country:
Contact HP Worldwide

If not then you may visit any notebook service to fix this.

** Say thanks by clicking the "Thumb up" icon below. **

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

Hi,

Check the below link:

Troubleshooting Black Screen Displays with No Error Messages During Startup or Boot

** Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended

Okay, I followed the intrsuctions in the link.

I connected a display to the laptops extrenal VGA port, The video worked fine and I was able

to login to windows. I logged on to HP's website and got all the latest drivers and software for this computer. I updated all the drivers and flashed the bios. The display on the laptop still is not working. When I turn on the computer I get a very faint light on the display but nothing more. The Display settings are set to default.

I don't think it is a software issue but a hardware issue. 

Startup Symptom: LEDs glow and displays a black screen, no boot up screen or operating system on laptop display.

I don't know if it is the LCD inverter, or the LCD display itself, or another hardware issue?

Is there someone at HP I can contact to get this fixed?

Thanks, Alexander

Alex Hernandez
HP Recommended

It looks that the display panel should be replaced.

Does your notebook is still under warranty?

If yes please contact with HP. How to do it?
Check the link below and choose your country:
Contact HP Worldwide

If not then you may visit any notebook service to fix this.

HP Recommended

Hello,

It turns out the laptop is now out of warrenty.

I checked with HP's parts department and the part is very expensive ( LCD Inverter board - $60 )

The laptop is a few years old and becomming obsolite. Also the laptop internal fan is begining become noisey.

I see new laptops on HP's website for $400

I found replacement LCD inverter boards on ebay.com for as little as $4.00

I viewed videos on utube.com on how to replace the LCD inverter board on the Compaq CQ60, Step by Step instructions by computer repair technitions. It is fairly easy. I could pay $125 and have a shop fix it for me or I can do it myself.

I think I am going to buy the part from ebay.com for $4.00 and do it myself.

I am going to save my money and buy a new laptop when Windows 8 comes out.

Thanks again for you help,   Alexander

Alex Hernandez
HP Recommended

So by reading everything, sounds like this was the problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WZcrkzg3uE

I can tell you right now that replacing the inverter didn't work, as I just did it myself, and am looking into replacing the sreen myself. (Just got to return the bulb I bought without looking at the screen itself.)

On eBay, screens for the model start at just over $50 and go up, so really it's up to you whether you want to (or have already had) just gotten a new computer or not.

HP Recommended

the my compaq monitor is not desplaying

HP Recommended

Hello please i have the same problem with my Presario CQ60- 218EM Laptop and want to find out if changing the inventor solved your problem,? I have connected my Laptop to the external monitor and its works fine but no video on the laptop screen,just some back light,please help me its seems its the same problem as yours?Thank you Mugabe

HP Recommended

Please help me, i have the same problem,do you think changing the inventer solved the problem?

HP Recommended

The best advice I can give you is to check with a computer repair shop for a FREE estimate.

As there could be many reasons for a Bad non-working display.

New laptops cost under $300 today for a 15-inch. It may not be worth fixing your old laptop.

You could ask the computer repair shop to recover you old files.

You really need the right diagnostic tools to trouble shoot and test computer components. So I would not recommend fixing it yourself unless you have money and time to burn.

It is a simple process of elimination to fix a computer. Find the bad part and replace it. The problem is it could be any of many parts that are bad and laptops are harder to fix and troubleshoot than PC's.

There was a class action law suite filed against HP by consumers with laptops with bad displays and bad video chip solders on the motherboard causing laptops displays to fail. This effected Nvidia video chips mainly. The date to file a claim has long expired.

Because there could be many reasons for the bad display and known problems with these older HP laptop I suggest you buy a new laptop. These older compaq laptops are meeting there end of use date and the warranty has long expired.

Alex Hernandez
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.