Driver crashes on HP Pavilion dv7-6195us Notebook PC. Happens mostly when watching videos. HELP! (12172 Views)
Honor Student
McoNyc
Message 1 of 27 (12,172 Views)

Driver crashes on HP Pavilion dv7-6195us Notebook PC. Happens mostly when watching videos. HELP!

[ Edited ]

Hi. I have an HP Pavilion dv7-6195us Notebook PC which I bought it last June 27th, 2011. I've been having problems with the display driver. It started happening about two or three weeks after I got the computer. I've called tech support and they made me download the drivers again and we installed them but the problem persists.

I've noticed that it usually happens (but not always) when I'm watching videos, pause them and close the lid. I'll be watching something on Vimeo or YouTube and I'll either stop or pause it and then I'll close the lid without closing the window (I use Firefox and Chrome). When I come back and start the computer back up again, the display driver crashes. It's like it can't load the video that I paused and it crashes.

Sometimes it recovers and sometimes it doesn't and it goes to this horrible blue screen and it dumps the memory and the computer has to restart itself and I lose everything that I had opened. Sometimes the blue screen dumps 100% of the memory and then it freezes and nothing happens so I have to press the power button and force it to restart itself

It is annoying, I lose information every time it happens and I'm afraid one of these days all of it will just fry something and it will all just stop working.

I've been told by the Hp people that I should try restoring my computer back to its factory settings. If that doesn't work then I have to ship the equipment back to them. This is really worrisome. I've installed a bunch of programs that I need for my work and will not be able to get them back without huge costs. Plus, it's my work computer! It's my livelihood and I just can't be left without something to work on while I ship my equipment back to them and wait I don't know how many weeks to get it back.

OS is Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit). Processor 2nd generation Intel Core i7-2630QM processor 2.00GHz with Turbo Boost Technology up to 2.90 GHz. 17.3" diagonal High Definition+ HP BrightView LED Display (1600 x 900).Video graphics Radeon HD 6770M switchable graphics with 1024MB GDDR5 and up to 4837MB total graphics memory

Here’s a link to all the full specs: HP Store: Pavilion dv7-6195us Notebook PC

What on earth do you think could be causing the problem? How effective do assume the restore to factory settings option will be? Is this display driver crashing problem a common one? 

I'm so freaking frustrated. I feel like I got screwed with this laptop. $1,200 screwed! I've attached an image of all the programs I have installed. Maybe one of them could be causing the problem. 

Thank you in advance for all your answers. I'm dying here.

Programs currently installed

(Right click and view image or open image in new tab to enlarge it)

Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 2 of 27 (12,147 Views)

Re: Driver crashes on HP Pavilion dv7-6195us Notebook PC. Happens mostly when watching videos. HELP!

As per info provided, it means when the Notebook wakes up from sleep any videos playing which you would have paused/stopped would cause BSOD and display driver to crash . I hope i got right ?

In order to check if this issue is not a h/w failure, have you tried running a test on HDD and memory ?

Turn OFF the Notebook and once its powered ON, keep Pressing F10 to load BIOS screen of the Notebook. In this screen under Diagnostics, run the test on hard drive and memory. Post back the results here. Also in startup menu there is an alternate way where you can run F2 (System Diagnostics). The instructions can be found at below link
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01443317

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
Honor Student
McoNyc
Message 3 of 27 (11,986 Views)

Re: Driver crashes on HP Pavilion dv7-6195us Notebook PC. Happens mostly when watching videos. HELP!

[ Edited ]

Hi. Thank you so much for your reply. You got the problem right. Here are the tests I ran and the results:

HARD DISK TEST

SMART Check: Passed

Short DST: Passed

Long DST: Passed

MEMORY TEST

Passed

START-UP TEST

Memory Test: Passed

SMART Check: Passed

Short DST: Passed

Optimized DST: Passed

Batter Test: Primary - Passed

PCI Devic Check: Passed

Any idea what's going on and how to fix it?

Student
Mynista13
Message 4 of 27 (11,953 Views)

Hi, I have the the very same laptop, and the very same problem as you are having. Has anyone found a solution? To be honest, I don't know much about computers and the lingo-stuff :smileytongue: lol. But if anyone knows how to fix this issue and could dumb the solution down for me, I'd greatly appreciate it :smileyhappy:. Basically, the problem is the same. I also got this laptop over the summer. And the display driver is crashing more and more often (usually in the same video situations that McoNyc described). It just crashed again twice today. This time, however, I had to reset from a backup, thus losing a lot of things I had recently been working on. So I appreciate any suggestions you can offer :smileyhappy:

Top Student
LisaN65
Message 5 of 27 (11,949 Views)

I have sent mine for repair and it still doesn't work.  Looking through the forum, this seems to be an ongoing problem.  HP needs to get this taken care of.  They won't return my calls at all.

Distinguished Professor
kamatr
Message 6 of 27 (11,915 Views)

@McoNyc

Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features and uninstall ATi drivers using ATI Catalyst Manager. Perform a complete uninstall and restart the computer.

After restart install latest BIOS from here and drivers from here

//Click on Kudos and Accept as Solution if my reply was helpful and answered your question//

I am an HP employee!!
Student
justin_gordon
Message 7 of 27 (11,796 Views)

I am also getting driver crash problems with my HP dv7: i7-2720QM CPU, XW899AV, Bios F.1A 7/20/2011, Radeon HD6770M, Bios BR401198.001, graphics memory 4837 MB, Driver 8.830.6.2000.

This is happening at least once a week.

We all don't want to spend countless hours trying random drivers and bios files only to get the same result or worse.

HP needs to solve this issue or offer refunds for those that want one

It's no fun hearing my Macbook Pro friends say "should have got a mac".

I'm running VirtualBox 4.1.6 with Ubuntu Natty 11.04.

I run a 1080p monitor off of the VGA port.

Where is the BSOD message logged?

Supposedly, my machine is sending the crash to HP.

What can we do?

Thanks,

Justin

Honor Student
TheMrKyle
Message 8 of 27 (11,725 Views)

[ Edited ]

I'd like to add some info and possibly shed light on this issue so we can get this thing solved!

Bought my Dv7-6195us around August (2011) and started having these exact same issues around the end of September.

My setup is: (I have a full .txt file if need be)

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601 
Other OS Description  Not Available 
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation 
System Name MRKYLE-PC 
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard 
System Model HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC 
System Type x64-based PC 
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2.00GHz, 2001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) 
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard F.1A, 7/20/2011 
SMBIOS Version 2.7 
Windows Directory C:\Windows 
System Directory C:\Windows\system32 
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1 
Locale United States 
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514" 
User Name MrKyle-PC\Mr. Kyle 
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time 
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB 
Total Physical Memory 5.95 GB 
Available Physical Memory 4.24 GB 
Total Virtual Memory 11.9 GB 
Available Virtual Memory 9.88 GB 
Page File Space 5.95 GB 
Page File C:\pagefile.sys 

I have done all of the tasks and suggestions that are given here, updated all of my drivers (that HP provides on there website, that Intel provides on their website, and that Windows Update detects), removed any possibly problematic new software (had my current setup all installed on a desktop machine before (custom built) with absolutely no problems whatsoever), ran the latest anti-virus-malware-rootkit detection and found no errors or problems, did multiple Memory, HDD, and peripheral hardware tests all passing 100% successful with no errors reported every time they are run, have ran SFC in command prompt and it comes up clean, no errors, and have tested both "Fixed" and "Dynamic" modes in the new BIOS update for the video setup, which doesn't seem to alleviate the problem.

Alright, that being said, here are the exact symptoms my comp. demonstrates when having this problem. Some sort of video processing is occurring at the time of the BSOD. It could be playing a video in either Media Player or VLC, Skype video-chatting, or the like. I haven't experienced the problem while watching in-browser videos, like on YouTube (which leads me to believe somehow Flash is exempt, but whatever). The BSOD errors are different, but the most reoccurring ones are "System Service Exception", the ol' "Driver_IRQ_Not_Less_Than_Unequal" (or whatever that exact wording is), and no message at all, just a notification that a possible video driver is awry.

What happens then: I turn off the computer to reboot, turn it back on, I get the boot-up options screen offering safe mode and whatnot, try to boot in regular or safe mode (makes no difference), get another BSOD lock-up during boot, the comp automatically restarts, I'm asked to run Startup Repair, which I do (cause if I don't it rarely boots up correctly). I don't choose a System Restore (that has not helped when I tried it many times before). The process runs (takes about 15 mins) and then tells me it can't repair the issue automatically and wants to send the information online, which I choose. Then I look at the detailed error report and it always, ALWAYS shows the same results:

All tests finish quickly (several milliseconds) and report no errors, EXCEPT the last test checking System file information, which takes the vast majority of that 15 mins, and returns the error "0x490".

This has been like clockwork. I found that if I uninstall video drivers and reinstall them, then I get some reprieve for some time (maybe a couple of days) until the original BSOD happens again and then the cycle restarts.

I wonder is the fact that there are dual video options that switch (even though, as I stated above, it doesn't matter if I turn this feature on or off in BIOS, as well as on the desktop with the CCC)? Also, the dedicated ATi drivers are based on AMD chipsets, while the built-in drivers are Intel (as is the processor)...does that seem like a conflict of interest?

In any case, I'm focused on figuring out this problem, so I'm spreading the word to the pros so we can get this figured out!

Cheers,

Mr. Kyle

Note: I'd like to add, that I've recently started to use the Hibernate/wake-up feature, and if I immediately start connecting to the internet by opening a browser window, use Skype, or stream a radio station, I almost inevitably will get a BSOD (sometimes stating tcpip.sys, sometimes not).

Honor Student
aaron_balthaser
Message 9 of 27 (11,337 Views)

Hello all,

I just wanted to add that I am having the same issue and I did a factory reset. When I did the factory reset I selected the option that installs only the necessary software excluding the 3rd party bloatware. I still have the same issue. I see the horrible blue screen a lot and I am in the same boat. I use my computer for my work and have lots of development software attached that is not easily dealt with.

Honor Student
terry32561
Message 10 of 27 (11,019 Views)

I wish I would have come to this forum before I purchased mine in Oct 2011. Same laptop with same problem except mine does it anytime without watching video's. Just shuts off at anytime, not overheating. It did about 4 days ago looked like a scrambled tv station jumpting allround and thousands of colors. I paid $1400 including 3 programs and I am very disappointed. I suppose this product should be recalled.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation