Question
Driver crashes on HP Pavilion dv7-6195us Notebook PC. Happens mostly when watching videos. HELP!
Replies (26)

Student
marcelomeireles
Message 11 of 27 (3,515 Views)

Re: Driver crashes on HP Pavilion dv7-6195us Notebook PC. Happens mostly when watching videos. HELP!

Hello everybody,
   Excuse my English, I'm in Brazil and imported an HP DV7 4195us. and I'm having the same problem. I believe this is a hidden defect and HP has an obligation to reimburse all consumers for the inconvenience, replacing the equipment with one that functions properly within their technical specifications. I invested in a computer with a different setup because she needed a maximized performance. It is absurd to a reputable brand like HP does not manifest in this forum pointing a definitive solution to this problem is by installing a driver that resolves or replacement of equipment. I am considering filing a lawsuit against HP if nothing is resolved.

best regards

Honor Student
aaron_balthaser
Message 12 of 27 (3,512 Views)

Re: Driver crashes on HP Pavilion dv7-6195us Notebook PC. Happens mostly when watching videos. HELP!

Hello everyone, I hope this final post helps others. I posted an earlier post and shortly after that I called HP and they had me send my laptop in. I got it back about 2 weeks later and praise God I have not had a problem since. My advice is ask God to help and send you laptop in. That is what worked for me.

Honor Student
TheMrKyle
Message 13 of 27 (3,507 Views)

UPDATE:

The biggest effect I had that was successful was to take out the "free" 2GB RAM stick (Hynix I believe) that was offerred with my laptop when I bought it.  Seems like others have had the same issue with buying the laptop around the same time with the same deal.  The RAM sticks were bad.  After that, no issues.  Look into the RAM.  You can grab a super cheap (and really reliable) stick from Newegg.  Hope this helps!

Honor Student
terry32561
Message 14 of 27 (3,320 Views)

update, i updated drivers right after posting 1st time and this was ok about 3 weeks. Now it's crashed 3 times (scrambled screen like tv stations) and I'll be working on a project and it just shuts off. This has never happened while watching a video, but I am getting pretty peeved since I paid so much for this machine.
Student
ansatsuse
Message 15 of 27 (3,114 Views)

Hello everyone,

Back in 2009 i bought a dv7-1030ep and guess what, same thing happened to my laptop and worst of all the problem persists. I've tried everything since restoring it back to its factory settings, formatting a couple of times to other windows versions, i've scanned for viruses and malware, i've talked to hp support technicians and many other computer technicians not related to hp but that didn't help at all. Sometimes the problem stops for several weeks and even months, but when it kicks off I can't see any movie with VLC or Windows Media Player or video at youtube, the one that works is the Core Media Player... that is mind blowing, what is it then? a codec conflict, an hardware problem? if anyone had this problem and fixed it please tell me about it, I really appreciate that (last time that i've installed a new windows there was no crashing for the first 3 months, then it happened again, so if you resolved this problem just wait some time before reporting)

Thank you

Ricardo

Top Student
sgim43
Message 16 of 27 (3,039 Views)

[ Edited ]

I've had the same problem. My computer crashes when playing videos, not every time, but frequently enough.  Actually, BOTH my computers.  I got one for myself and my wife within a few months in the summer of 2011. A few months later the crashing started, and then was a regular occurrence. One computer crashes to a blue screen and says is due to the display driver, and the other computer either gets a black and white horizontal static lines or just crashes to a black screen.  In all instances I must manually restart. I've went through may sessions with HP customer service with no success, and now they only say to wipe everything out reinstall the system.  It took me many many hours to set up my computer after initially purchasing it.  I really do not want to spend all the time putting all the different programs and software back on my computer.  We're talking a good 12-20 hours spread over a week.  There goes my free time for a week.  VERY annoying.  It's been 6 months dealing with HP and still having the issues.  I feel like its just being delayed until my warranty runs out.  Messed up. 

Student
azzy622
Message 17 of 27 (2,986 Views)

Hi, I had this problem too and I have the same series laptop (dv7t-6000 CTO). This problem happened to me once I upgraded the bios to f.1B .. then i had problems with random freezing when playing videos in youtube and other media players and had to restart several times.. However I then rolled back to an older bios driver version f.13. after which it was perfectly normal..this bios should support your model too, according to the HP driver section which u can enter ur model no and download the old bios.. just in case I will post the download link - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-95001-1&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

-ps,

Although I solved my problem, I am still waiting for an explanation from HP, as to why they provide a bios update that screws your pc, because all the times when my laptop freezed & crashed I had to restart many many times and that led to malfunctioning my 640gb hard drive and I had to get a new one. Im so frustrated about what happened and would think twice when buying an HP again in the future.

Honor Student
Yobenny
Message 18 of 27 (2,456 Views)

I have the same issue.  Has anyone found a resolution for this?

Honor Student
Yobenny
Message 19 of 27 (2,455 Views)

I completely agree with you. Have you heard anything back on this issue from HP?
Top Student
LisaN65
Message 20 of 27 (2,427 Views)

After spending 3 days of multiple calls all over the world, restoring my computer, crashing my hard drive, blowing a fan etc....I finally sent an email to HP Corporate - to Meg Whitmans office.  It wasn't until I sent the email to them that I finally got through to somebody that could help me.  I explained the same thing that I had explained for the prior three days.  They sent me a box to return the computer for repair.  I sent it, waited a week and received the computer.  They called me before the computer arrived to find out if it worked.  I told them I hadn't received it yet and I would let them know.  It arrived and lo and behold, I tried to use it and it happened again.  I called, got a message that the person involved was gone for the weekend.  I left a message stating that the problem was happening again and I wanted a call immediately Monday morning.  I did not receive any reply.  I called again.  I was told that the case was closed.  I needed to contact another case manager.  It was pulled between two of them and they both thought the other was handling the case.  I explained that the computer was still not working properly and had to go over it again.  It was then that they told me that the original prolem wasn't even looked at during the repair and it would need to be sent AGAIN.  I sent it back.  They extended my warantee for another year.  I had to write to corporate again in order to get the second repair (which should have been my first repair).  It took three weeks total to get it fixed.  It still isn't working right but I'd rather throw it out the window than go through it again.  I will NEVER purchase another HP product.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation