Question

Honor Student
JoeyDimes
Message 1 of 5 (11,710 Views)

Elitebook 8530W + Docking Station + 2 monitors - constant flickering problem

Greetings. Brand new HP Elitebook 8530W with the big HP docking station, connected to two external displays. Windows Vista Enterprise.

I downloaded and installed the latest NVidia drivers and MB Bios from HP and configured the setup to work with two monitors (laptop screen not being used) while docked. It worked fine for a day, then the next day the end user reported constant flickering. I observed it in person, the screens would actually blank, the mouse would jump and then they would come on. Each cycle lasted 3-4 seconds. I undocked it, disconnected one of the monitors, re-docked it and then used the NVidia control panel to configure it for a single display and it works fine.

Any ideas what is causing this?

Honor Student
Simon_H_W
Message 2 of 5 (10,675 Views)

Re: Elitebook 8530W + Docking Station + 2 monitors - constant flickering problem

Hi Joey.

I've got the same problem after a video card driver upgrade on my Vista x64 machine.

I just upgraded to Win7 and I'll give it a go tomorrow on the docking station with 2 monitors.

If you can't get it solved I suggest downgrade your drivers, this is clearly a driver issue.

Simon

Student
Mamanakis
Message 3 of 5 (10,050 Views)

Re: Elitebook 8530W + Docking Station + 2 monitors - constant flickering problem

Same problem with my 8530w and docking station and one HP LP2475w monitor and on HP LP2065 monitor. One of the monitors would flicker and become unresponsive -- it was still on, but blank. A clue is that when I cycled combinations of monitors, i.e.. instead of two external I used the laptop monitor and the one external monitor that was blanking on me (on for a few second then off, repeat a few times, then just off, or rather blank, green light with no image.) When I made the external monitor the primary monitor using the display driver control panel, the laptop screen flickered and blanked; however, on the laptop screen, I could see that what had happened was the backlight had turned off, i.e.., when I shined a bright light on the monitor, I could see that the monitor was forming images: I could see the mouse moving, etc.

I first tried getting the latest driver from nvidia, but then I could only use one external monitor and the laptop -- not two external monitors, so I reverted to the latest OEM driver.

Here is what worked for me (the fact that it worked makes me think there is a driver bug, or hardware problem). Originally I had the LP2475w hooked up to the DVD port and the LP2065 to the analog port. I switched them using the same cables and the problem went away.

In trying to diagnose the root cause of this problem the evidence I have seen is contradictory based on what I know; of course, if it wasn't then I would know what the problem is. Either way I would suggest trying different combinations of analog/DVD and ports on the monitors. I can't say why it worked (I have suspicions) but it did.

Honor Student
jsloan1223
Message 4 of 5 (10,042 Views)

Joey, you might need to change the refresh rates for the monitors. This is either found in the nvidia interface or monitor settings. HTH. If you need help with it, I suggest calling nvidia. Probably there is contact info in the package. good luck.

Honor Student
JoeyDimes
Message 5 of 5 (10,035 Views)

I'm not sure if it was a driver problem or a combination of driver and hardware. The laptop screen stopped working shortly after my earlier post and after a brief chat with HP tech support they sent out a warranty repair technician. He diagnosed a bad video card and a bad screen. He had them overnighted and came out the next day to finish the job and I have seen no issues since then. I was very impressed with the level of service HP provided.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation