Re: Envy 14: Turn switchable graphics off in BIOS? (15461 Views)
Intern
ademmer1977
Message 1 of 10 (15,888 Views)

Envy 14: Turn switchable graphics off in BIOS?

Hi,

I am running Linux on my Envy 14 and can only use the integrated Intel graphics with poor 3D support: The propretary ATI fglrx driver fails with switchable graphics turned on and suggests to turn switchable graphics off. The free radon driver does not yet support the HD 56xx series. Other Laptops with this constallation allow to turn off the switchable graphics in BIOS and to choose either integrated or discrete graphics.

Now I am in a mess since Envy 14 has no such BIOS option; I am stuck with Intel graphics and a non-working power plan. Is it planned for any of the next BIOS updates to introduce a switch to turn switchable graphics off?

BTW: I am running the latest kernel 2.6.34 which comes with vgaswitcheroo, a functionality to switch graphic cards at runtime. It correctly identifies both the Intel and the ATI graphic cards. It shows that both cards are powered and that the Intel card is selected. I switched to the ATI card and turned off the Intel card. ATI driver still fails, but with message "Unknown BIOS". According to ATI, the only option is to switch the Intel card dead in BIOS. :-(

Intern
ademmer1977
Message 2 of 10 (15,812 Views)

Re: Envy 14: Turn switchable graphics off in BIOS?

Doesn't anyone have any hint for me?

Honor Student
hsantanna
Message 3 of 10 (15,487 Views)

I have the same problem that you have.

My computer's model is a Pavilion dv4 2080BR, with ATI / Intel switchable graphics.

I bought the notebook announced with ATI graphics, not Intel graphics. I don't want the Intel one, want to disable it. I contacted HP email support, and I suggest to everyone that have the same problem to do so.

http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?h_pagetype=s-005&h_lang=en&h_cc=us&h_product=82710&h_page=hpcom&l...

Ask HP to release a new BIOS version that allow to totally disable Intel integrated graphics.

Without that option we can't use the fglrx ATI's Linux drivers.

Intern
ademmer1977
Message 4 of 10 (15,461 Views)

Ok, I contacted them yesterday, thanks!

Honor Student
Monkeykups
Message 5 of 10 (15,340 Views)

Intern
ademmer1977
Message 6 of 10 (15,339 Views)

I already know this blog posting, I have written it! :smileywink:

Tutor
aBs0lut3z33r0
Message 7 of 10 (13,711 Views)

The BIOS is really disappointing with no support for switcable grahics and HDD password

Envy14 - 1015TX - Radiance 1600X900 | i5 450M | 4GB | 5650 | Hitachi 7k500 - 500GB and blank BIOS with no features in it
Honor Student
eReiner11
Message 8 of 10 (11,630 Views)

Try this,

When you download the ATI card drivers they are typically stored in a folder known as: C:\ATI\Support\(whatever the version number of it is)

What you must do is go to that directory, for me mine was:

C:\ATI\Support\11-5_mobility_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc_ocl\

When you run the setup.exe in that folder it claims you need updates from HP, HOWEVER if you go into another folder in that same directory (for me it was called BIN64, you will find ANOTHER setup.exe. (Make sure your ATI HD card is the one running at this point in time and then) Run that setup.exe! It will run as normal and install the new drivers. (This is due to the fact that it "sees" ONLY the ATI HD card running as the primary and assumes it is OK to install the drivers.)

Issues: The only issue that happened for me was the laptop monitor shutoff while it was installing the display driver. I gave it a few minutes to "install the driver in the background" while my screen was black. Forced my computer to shut down via power button, restarted it that way, went into DXDIAG to check to see what my ati card's version number was, and it was UP TO DATE!

Hope this helps a ton of people. This issue is very frustrating I know but this method should work!

On a side note my laptop is/has:

HP Pavilion dv7t 4000 series.

Graphics Card is in the 5600 series. (Second is the crappy INTEL HD card.)

Running Windows 7, 64bit.

One more thing, this ONLY updates the ATI HD card (obviously does nothing to the INTEL HD card) but with this method, switchable graphics still works.

Top Student
TAS-DV6
Message 9 of 10 (10,497 Views)

Like you I'm looking to diasble the intel graphics on my DV6-6190us

There are two setup files in that folder, which one did you use the one named ATIsetup.exe or the one simply named setup.exe

For reference my machine isn DV6-6190us, Core i7, 2gb Radeon HD6770m, Win7 64

Student
Selrahc
Message 10 of 10 (7,408 Views)

Hello, I'm a little bit late and you will probably never read my answer, but now there is a solution. I took a lot of time to find it, but it work just fun.

Just download the latest driver here: http://www2.ati.com/drivers/mobile/11-5_mobility_vista_win7_64_dd_ccc_ocl.exe

Install it like a normal program. It will probably fail to update microsoft direct X10, but who care ? You can install it manually. After that the switchable option will still be here, but it won't work, you will not be able to change the graphic card. So this is the best of both world, because you can have the latest drivers (good for new games such as Battlefield 3, Skyrim, etc) and you will not have switchable graphics anymore. :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation