Question

Honor Student
chaosorc
Message 1 of 2 (788 Views)

Envy 17 - Low FPS and Touchpad Issues

I received this laptop as a replacement for a previous one HP could not repair.  Unfortunately it has a ton of problems itself.  I tried contacting technical support but all they do is have me update drivers and reformat the computer.  I’ve even sent it in for repairs twice, the first time they claimed to fix it and the second time they claimed nothing was wrong.  Now they want me to send it in a third time.

The first problem I have is with video and game playback.  I have tried out numerous games and they start out with a frame rate of 20 and over a period of a few minutes dip down to as low as 1 FPS and the entire computer runs incredibly slow.  Furthermore whenever I play videos online the sound will play fine but the video itself is glitched to the point that the image changes once a second rather then a fluid video.  I have also tested the 3D videos that came with the computer and I have the same problem. 

This is a brand new fully loaded Envy 17 with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5800 series graphics card, Intel Core i7 CPU Q840 @ 1.87 GHz and 8 gigs of RAM.  I did an internet speed test and averaging 6 mbps, so it is nothing to do with the network. 

So far I have tried reinstalling windows, installing the latest drivers per the HP support. Installing the latest BIOS setup.  I have all of the settings on the graphics card set to high performance.  I also set all of the game settings to low graphics. 

The second problem I have is with the touchpad.  50% of the time when I click on the right button of the touchpad, it is registering as a left click.  I also find that when I try to hold down the left touch pad button and slide the cursor across the screen, the cursor is uncontrollable. 

Has anyone else had these issues?  Any ideas on how to solve these problems?

Student
killer1024
Message 2 of 2 (589 Views)

Re: Envy 17 - Low FPS

I bought the Envy 17 3D 2090nr a month ago and used it only for gaming, I play Rift online and my specs is more than double the recommended specs required to play the game and i have to play it on minimum settings.

The FPS are 27 on low settings and 7 on High, I changed every possible setting on the pc to improve performence but it's still the same.

Specs are core i7 2.00 ghz, 8gb ddr3 ram, hd radeon 6850 1gb ddr5.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation