Flashing Lines across Screen (2501 Views)
Intern
regdawg
Message 1 of 5 (2,501 Views)

Flashing Lines across Screen

DV6-6140us

I've seen some people having the same issue, has anyones issue been resolved through a fix?

I've sent my laptop in twice but HP hasn't done anything because they can replicate the issue. It happens intermitenly to me. In fact, I received my laptop back maybe 3-4 weeks ago and its worked fine since and today the flickering started again. I may have to just take a video to prove that the issue exists and send it in a 3rd time.  I'm really annoyed of this issue. The one time I decide to try HP and I experience this. Never had an issue in 5 years with my Toshiba and its still running strong.

Any help is appreciated.

Honor Student
swdriver
Message 2 of 5 (2,430 Views)

Re: Flashing Lines across Screen

I have a dv6-6c10us and I have the same issue. It's very annoying and not very consistant (ie. fixable).

Distinguished Professor
Danjen
Message 3 of 5 (2,424 Views)

Yes, I would go with the video. I think that would be a good idea. In the mean time, attach an external monitor to your system so you know if it happens on the external monitor as well as the notebook screen.  This will tell them if it is the screen or the video chip. There has been a lot of problems with video chips overheating and the solder cracking causing strange displays and even solid colors or black screens.  In those cases, the video chip has to be reflowed (re-heated to melt the solder), reballed (replace the lead free solder with lead solder) or replaced (install a new video chip). I would think the problem will show up more when the computer is hot and you are taxing the video with streaming video, games or DVD movies.

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

Intern
regdawg
Message 4 of 5 (2,410 Views)

I've actually hooked it up to an external monitor and it shows the same flashing lines.

The heat never crossed my mind when the lines started appearing. I'll have to pay attention to that when I see the lines again. Its just frustrating that HP couldn't replicate the issue. I sent the video to the HP tech who worked on my laptop previously and got no response.

Distinguished Professor
Danjen
Message 5 of 5 (2,393 Views)

It does sound to me that that video chip needs to be reflow, reballed or replaced.

Reminder: Please select the "Accept as Solution" button on the post that best answers your question. Also, you may click on the white star in the "Kudos" button for any helpful post to give that person a quick thanks. These feedback tools help keep our community active, so you receive better answers faster.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation