Flicker on TV from HDMI cable (1687 Views)
Top Student
JLCD
Message 1 of 15 (1,687 Views)

Flicker on TV from HDMI cable

I have DV7-1055, using HDMI cable to pinoeer plasma to stream video. All works OK, but I am getting a flicker or break up in the TV picture that is not present on the laptop display. I have played with NVIDIA control panel settings but not improvement

Any help?

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 15 (1,677 Views)

Re: Flicker on TV from HDMI cable

[ Edited ]

There are NVIDIA drivers that are available direct from the sight, but I need to know what model of driver it is, am thinking GeForce 9200 M GS or 9600 M GT.

Also, what is your OS and is it 32 or 64 bit ?  I think your laptop is a UK model _ is this correct ?

In most cases this is solved by updating the driver.

Top Student
JLCD
Message 3 of 15 (1,665 Views)

HaggisCat - thanks for the reply

its 9600, and i did update the driver last night - the site did say there was an update. yet to see if it made a difference

its a UK model , pretty sure its Windows Vista Home premium which I think is 32 bit - not sure how I can check this?

Suggest I try tonight to see it has improved it.

I have another slight issue that my laptop screen does not completely fit the TV screen (5% around the edge missing). I have played with the resolution in the Control Panel but that doesnt help and in the NVIVIDA control panel i cant seem to be able to change the screen resolution?

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 4 of 15 (1,659 Views)

[ Edited ]

To confirm that it is Vista 32 bit, right click on "Computer" and then "Properties". It won't come right out and say 32 bit, but if it does not say 64 bit (see screen shot) then it's 32. The screen shot is of W7, but Vista is similar.

64 bit.PNG

You said you updated the NVIDIA driver last night, did you get the update from the HP sight or from NVIDIA ?

You need to set the NVIDIA to the native resolution of the Pioneer display. I am guessing it's a 720p, so that would make it 1366 x 768. That is an estimate, please check the owners manual for the exact numbers ; it should be under specifications in the back of the manual. If it's not there contact Pioneer and find out for sure, it's important. There should be an option in the NVIDIA control panel to create a custom resolution. I may get you to post a screen shot if need be.

I will try and correct the space around the TV later,  but lets concentrate on the "Flicker" problem for now.

Top Student
JLCD
Message 5 of 15 (1,653 Views)

Right back online - yup 32 bit.

re updating driver - went to device manager, right clicked on the NVIDIA bit and hit update. driver version is 8.16.11.8766

pinoeer spec says 1024 x 768

j

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 6 of 15 (1,646 Views)

[ Edited ]

Going to the device manager is not the same as updating the drive per say. What that does is update the information in the driver you are running, but does not install a totally new driver. It would be great if it was that easy ! On my dv8 I am running version number 258.96 and when I went to my device manager, it did update the driver, but it was still the same version.

The new version for my dv8 is the same as the one I gave you, 260.99, but for W7 64 bit.

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/notebook-win7-winvista-260.99-whql-driver-uk.html

Download and "save" this new driver to the desk top and install it from there, do not click "run" to install it from a temporary folder.

Install it over top of your present one and restart. If it will not install, you will have to uninstall your old one first.

If things go wrong then choosing a Windows restore point will correct things or you can reinstall the old version from HP.

Does the flicker on the display happen when you are playing a movies using Media Smart DVD or does it do it all the time ?

Top Student
JLCD
Message 7 of 15 (1,638 Views)

yes, thought about that after i posted and went to NVIDIA and did it directly. now showing 8.17.12.6099 which was update on 16th so looking up to date

i have only noticed the flicker when try to route a film from Lovefilm (streaming service) to my TV. Laptop has been fine. Never tried playing DVD on PC to TV

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 8 of 15 (1,621 Views)

If the flickering is only happening when you're streaming live video, then it's probably more to do with your internet connection, how much band width there is, when you watch the movie and how many are also streaming video's from Lovefilm. An outfit like that should have huge servers to accommodate the load, so I am guessing it's your internet connection.

Where I live I have two choices Telus (DSL Internet) and cable. DSL comes in at around 300 kbs, not great, but its' consistent, it never changes no matter how many people on my block are connected.

Cable is way faster, it comes in at at least 500 to 1000 kbs, sometimes a bit over 1 mb. The problem with cable is that it's shared with the block or even the neighborhood and the more people on the server the slower in becomes. I have had it slow right down to 60 kbs ounce. At work it's even worse at 12 kbs at times. With that you can't even look at the simplest web page.

Does Lovefilm have a service where you can download the video and play it later using a virtual drive or the appropriate software ? This is out of my knowledge base, but it may solve your flickering problem.

Screen image size :

Advanced.PNG

Click on advanced settings in the drop down box, in the heading bar. Click on change resolution and then Customize...

Before doing a custom resolution check to see if it is listed when the display is connected and simply choose it, if it is.

The screen shots below shows how to select a custom resolution and when it's done, if need be, it should remember the selection when the TV is connected.

Custom Res..PNG

Top Student
JLCD
Message 9 of 15 (1,606 Views)

OK thanks very much, let me try the resolution and get back to you.

re internet connection - would it still be that if the playback is perfect on my laptop display whilst flickering/jumping on the TV. It looks great on the laptop so i assumed it wasnt a bandwidth problem?

J

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 10 of 15 (1,600 Views)

Sorry, I forgot your original problem, if this NVIDIA driver did not solve it, that's all I have for now. I will think about this some more.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation