Glitching and Flickering Screen (52030 Views)
Honor Student
jennydang1991
Message 1 of 12 (52,030 Views)

Glitching and Flickering Screen

Hi, I'm just wondering if this has happened to other people or was it just me, but Lately my screen whenever I open up my laptop it glitches and flickers and the colours of blue, pinkish - purple horizontal lines the fill up the whole screen but, its just whenever tilted a certain angle ( in my case almost every angle except for as far back as you can tilt the screen) I'm also wondering if this would be covered by the one year warranty

Thanks

Honor Student
jennydang1991
Message 2 of 12 (52,029 Views)

Re: Glitching and Flickering Screen

I also forgot to mention that I have the HP G60-418CA model for my laptop that has this problem

Student
rph127
Message 3 of 12 (51,992 Views)

My parents (who are technologically challenged) are also having a similar problem with their G50108NR laptop.  I would also be interested in the cause of this issue and what can be done to fix it.

Honor Student
pwdennis2
Message 4 of 12 (51,887 Views)

[ Edited ]

Yes, it's happening to me too on my Compaq Presario CQ50. Started just a month or so before my one-year warranty expired and didn't have time to call about it then. That was four months ago, and now they're saying they won't cover it.

UPDATE 3/12/2010:

I solved the problem on my computer. The problem was caused by a loose video cable connector, and I fixed it myself in about 25 minutes with a jeweler's/computer screwdriver and this helpful tutorial: http://bit.ly/8YyYgk

Good luck!

Honor Student
pwdennis2
Message 5 of 12 (51,811 Views)

One thing I didn't make clear in the message about: the tutorial I linked to above is about removing and replacing a damaged LCD screen. I didn't have to do that. I just had to tighten the connection in the video connector cable (step 8), which I did by disconnecting and then re-connecting it. I then went as far as step 9 and detached the display/lid from the body (though it was still connected by the video cable) and then reinserted it to tighten it up. I don't think doing that contributed to the solution. You can also probably skip the wireless antenna cables (step 7).

Top Student
matthewd2011
Message 6 of 12 (49,059 Views)

Hp Pavilion 3160us is doing the exact same thing...I have had the laptop for about 6 months.  I was told where to go to fix it with videos so I can do it myself, but I'm too afraid of screwing something else up. So now I'm trying to get in contact with hp about coming to get it so they can repair it at their main center.  I have tried email and no reply yet so I think I might call them now or use the chat. Seems a lot of hp laptops are having this same problem.  Any of yalls go completely black yet...cas mine just did about a week ago?

Student
jakec9
Message 7 of 12 (47,557 Views)

I had the same problem everyone else is describing with my G60--flickering, horizontal lines, pink tones all over the screen, depending on how far the lid was open. My issue seems to have been the video cable. I bought a replacement video cable from HP (part number 496841-001) and installed it using the directions found here: http://www.insidemylaptop.com/remove-replace-damaged-lcd-screen-hp-g50-g60-g70-notebook/. I had to follow steps 1-19. The directiosn there are pretty good, though not totally thorough.

The only additions I have to your directions is that step 5 involves gently popping up the black part so it sweeps toward the screen in order to remove the cable. I also basically broke the connector from the video cable to the left side of the inverter trying to remove it. I have no good suggestions for how to do this other than tons of patience and tweezers. Also, take copious pictures with a digital camera as you go, particularly in the area around the hinges, so you can retrace the path of the wiring.

Lastly, doing this also seems to have cured an issue I was having with my webcam only working when the lid was all the way open. 

Good luck!

Student
moh90
Message 8 of 12 (35,085 Views)

I have the same problem. I started seeing little white horizontal lines on my screen and I only had my computer for a few weeks. Bought it from walmart and its a HP Pavilion g series. I contacted HP and I sent it in and it worked just fine when I got it back and then a few weeks later the lines started to show again.

Student
alexfre
Message 9 of 12 (17,797 Views)

I have just had this issue with the HP Pavilion G6. Seems  like its something that happens a lot. Really worried its gonna stop working on me. Anyone know a deffinate way to stop this from happening?

Thanks

Distinguished Professor
RedRose0528
Message 10 of 12 (17,357 Views)

Hello @Alexfre,

You state your laptop screen glitches and flickers, is that correct? I will try to help you.

Can you please provide the full make and model of the computer you have, If you are unsure where to locate that information have a look at this link for help if needed.

Please respond back at your earliest convenience.

Thanks

Clicking the White Kudos star on the left is a way to say Thanks!

Clicking the 'Accept as Solution' button is a way to let others know which steps helped solve the problem!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation