Question

Honor Student
JazzJoshman16
Message 1 of 6 (174 Views)

HD 8670M not working after windows 8.1 installation

After updating to win 8.1 I had no problems initially with my video card as all the games would run smoothly. But after a while they started lagging badly. When I opened up the catalyst control center then it would not open giving the error that it cannot be started. This error was solved by installing the ccc2_install application. But still all the games are lagging which means that they are still working on the intel card. Also i downloaded the latest catalyst drivers from the amd site but still it did not help. I even tried re-installing all the video drivers via the hp recovery manager but to no avail. Please help me with this problem.

HP Support Agent
TwoPointOh
Message 2 of 6 (142 Views)

Re: HD 8670M not working after windows 8.1 installation

Hi JazzJoshman16, welcome to the HP Forums. What is the model or product number of your notebook?

Guide to finding your product number

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping!
Honor Student
JazzJoshman16
Message 3 of 6 (134 Views)

[ Edited ]

product number - E3B56PA#ACJ

model - HP Pavilion 15-e016TX

HP Support Agent
TwoPointOh
Message 4 of 6 (113 Views)

Thank you JazzJoshman16. I believe this describes your implementation of Switchable Graphics: Switchable Graphics on Notebooks Configured with Intel and ATI GPUs.

Typically restoring the original drivers from the restore manager is my first step to repair driver issues with Switchable Graphics. Since that is not working, do you have the ability to uninstall the Intel and AMD drivers from Programs & Features first? If you can do that, and then perform a clean boot: How to perform a clean boot in Windows

After that, try to restore the original graphics drivers, starting with Intel, followed by the AMD graphics drivers:
Using Recovery Manager to Restore Software and Drivers (Windows 8)

If that is successful, proceed to try to download and install the updated drivers located here:
Intel High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver
AMD High-Definition (HD) Graphics Driver

If you run into any road blocks, like errors on any steps, let me know precisely what messages you are getting and where they occur. Let me know what progress you make.

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Honor Student
JazzJoshman16
Message 5 of 6 (88 Views)

Well I tried the steps but while installing the amd drivers(Not the windows 8.1 ones) the screen went black with only the mouse cursor appearing. I then restarted the laptop but that didn't help either. Now I am stuck with a black screen which is not responding to anything.

HP Support Agent
TwoPointOh
Message 6 of 6 (79 Views)

Well JazzJoshman16, if you cannot perform an HP Recovery you may have to contact support for more options. There are a few ways to perform an HP Recovery illustrated in this support document:  Performing an HP System Recovery (Windows 8)

If you are unable to perform, or if this does not resolve it, then you will have to contact support: HP Technical Support, North America 1-800-474-6836. For all other regions click here.

TwoPointOh
I work on behalf of HP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation