HDMI issues G60-235dx - Intel GMA 4500MHD (19942 Views)
Honor Student
rjames210
Message 1 of 8 (19,942 Views)

HDMI issues G60-235dx - Intel GMA 4500MHD

I have an HP G60-235dx laptop with an HDMI port. I bought the laptop a few months back and one of the features that really convinced me was the HDMI port.  However, since I first got it home the HDMI output hasn't worked right. I want to hook up the laptop to my 37" LCD TV to watch movies and use as an external monitor.  However when I plug into the TV the laptop desktop doesn't fill up the screen.

I have tried switching the resolution but that doesnt work.  The laptop always wants to output a 1080p signal but the native resolution of the TV is 720p (though it will display 1080i which is what it downgrades the 1080p signal to). When I hook up the laptop up with a VGA cable the picture is great and fills the whole screen. With a VGA cable it displays in the correct resolution of 1360x768.  However, when I use the HDMI cable 1360x768 is not available.

The lastest driver from Intel has partially fixed the issue, I can now output in 720p and 1080, and with a little adjusting using Intel's TV Wizard software, fill up the screen. However, the picture is subpar, not even close to the picture I get using the VGA cord. The only two resolutions that will fill the screen using the HDMI is 1280x720 (for 720p) and 1920x1080 (for 1080p). I know the resolution for 1080p is correct but everything is way to small and text is unreadable. And in 720p using the 1280x720 resolution just looks bad. Text is blurry and the quality just doesnt compete with the VGA output. 

I have used a program called powerstrip to try and create custom resolutions and play with the settings. However my graphics card (Intel GMA 4500 MHD) wont accept a resolution of 1360x768 for output with the HDMI. It is so frustrating because I know it is capable of outputting this resolution (it does it with the VGA cord) and I know this is the native resolution of the TV and how good the picture would look. Has anybody had similiar problems? HP support was no help they couldnt understand the issue and keep telling me the change the resolution in display settings. They hung up on me and when I called back the guy said it was my HDMI cord (its not, I have tried several and also had the same issue on other TVs) and refused to escalate.

Someone please help me. Whats the use of having HDMI if it doesnt work correctly? How is it my PS3 and Bluray player output flawless and my laptop doesn't? Sorry for the super long post, but I needed to rant a little. This is frustrating! Please help! 

Top Student
Orion7
Message 2 of 8 (19,866 Views)

Re: HDMI issues G60-235dx - Intel GMA 4500MHD

Can someone please help, I have exactly the same problem!

My notebooks resolution is the same as the TV, but I cannot output to HDMI at 1366*768, even though my notebook runs at that resolution natively!

This is pretty useless. Could HP badger intel to release an updated driver or something please? Its such a standard TV resolution, especially something you'd want to use over HDMI. Its almost lame that we have to ask.

Thanks.

Honor Student
rjames210
Message 3 of 8 (19,405 Views)

[ Edited ]
Not even one suggestion? This is so disappointing.  You think HP would have made sure the flaws were worked out before they offered HDMI ports on their products.  Seems that this is the result of poor planning and a rush job to capitalize on this new technology (new to the computer world), shame on you HP (intel as well).  Hopefully Intel releases a driver that fixes all the bugs...thats the only hope.
Message Edited by rjames210 on 09-09-2009 10:59 PM
Top Student
Orion7
Message 4 of 8 (19,401 Views)

Maybe there is a FAQ somewhere or something with the details, but they should at least show it on the notebook specifications page that HDMI can only output certain resolutions. And let us know that probably the most common HDMI-TV resolution isnt supported.
Student
porschec2
Message 5 of 8 (16,370 Views)

Okay - I have the same unit, same problem.  Where is the HP moderator to give us the bad news? We bought laptops that advertised HDMI but don't support it.  Is this the case?  If not, what is the solution - we shouldn't have to wait months for a reply on a year old product.

Top Student
Orion7
Message 6 of 8 (16,262 Views)

I wouldn't expect too much, HP doesn't seem to have any interest in the situation whatsoever. I'm sure lots of their 4500MHD notebooks have this problem, but I can hardly find any info on it. 

The thing that gets me the most is that no one wants to admit that its basically HDMI for the sake of having a plug on the side of your notebook, the fact that its useless to most people is of no concern to them, its just a sales pitch.

Student
circle888
Message 7 of 8 (15,522 Views)

I have G60-441 model and has the same Intel Graphics Media 4500M card running Vista.  My laptop only has HDMI output.   I don't know how you can connect VGA cables unless 235dx has VGA output.  Anyway, when I first plug HDMI connecting to my TV, the screen is small.  This is what I did:  Right click on your desk top and pick "personalize".  A screen will pop up.  Click "Display Setting".   Another screen will pop up.  Number 1 is your laptop.  Click Number 2 of which is your external monitor.   Use the sliding bar to change the resolution that best fit your TV.   You may need to click the box for "extend the desktop onto this monotor" box.  And, you may also need to have the TV connected while doing this.

I tried to do this using the Graphic Driver icon in the task bar.  It didn't work for me.

Good luck.

Honor Student
kevlkg
Message 8 of 8 (15,512 Views)

I had the same problem with my G60-513. I spent hours on the phone with three different HP (so-called) technicians But I found the fix.

Go into the Windows Mobility Center and click the External Display box. You'll be given 4 choices,,,,,choose Projector Only.

You should now see a full screen and your display properties should change as well. Screen resolution should now be 1960X1080

rjames210 wrote:

I have an HP G60-235dx laptop with an HDMI port. I bought the laptop a few months back and one of the features that really convinced me was the HDMI port.  However, since I first got it home the HDMI output hasn't worked right. I want to hook up the laptop to my 37" LCD TV to watch movies and use as an external monitor.  However when I plug into the TV the laptop desktop doesn't fill up the screen.

I have tried switching the resolution but that doesnt work.  The laptop always wants to output a 1080p signal but the native resolution of the TV is 720p (though it will display 1080i which is what it downgrades the 1080p signal to). When I hook up the laptop up with a VGA cable the picture is great and fills the whole screen. With a VGA cable it displays in the correct resolution of 1360x768.  However, when I use the HDMI cable 1360x768 is not available.

The lastest driver from Intel has partially fixed the issue, I can now output in 720p and 1080, and with a little adjusting using Intel's TV Wizard software, fill up the screen. However, the picture is subpar, not even close to the picture I get using the VGA cord. The only two resolutions that will fill the screen using the HDMI is 1280x720 (for 720p) and 1920x1080 (for 1080p). I know the resolution for 1080p is correct but everything is way to small and text is unreadable. And in 720p using the 1280x720 resolution just looks bad. Text is blurry and the quality just doesnt compete with the VGA output. 

I have used a program called powerstrip to try and create custom resolutions and play with the settings. However my graphics card (Intel GMA 4500 MHD) wont accept a resolution of 1360x768 for output with the HDMI. It is so frustrating because I know it is capable of outputting this resolution (it does it with the VGA cord) and I know this is the native resolution of the TV and how good the picture would look. Has anybody had similiar problems? HP support was no help they couldnt understand the issue and keep telling me the change the resolution in display settings. They hung up on me and when I called back the guy said it was my HDMI cord (its not, I have tried several and also had the same issue on other TVs) and refused to escalate.

Someone please help me. Whats the use of having HDMI if it doesnt work correctly? How is it my PS3 and Bluray player output flawless and my laptop doesn't? Sorry for the super long post, but I needed to rant a little. This is frustrating! Please help! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation