Question

Honor Student
syazalina83
Message 1 of 325 (47,132 Views)

HP Compaq Presario CQ40 screen flickers intermittently

My laptop's screen flickers intermittently especially when it was plugged in to AC power since the 1st day i bought it (31/01/2009).

But I still can use it.

On 16/03/2009, I took it to HP Service Centre (Malaysia) regarding this problem and left it there for 3 days.

They replaced a new display panel but I didn't check its condition when i collected it because I assumed that the problem was settled.

At home, I found that the problem still occurs as usual and it's very annoying.

Is it possible that the problem is caused by the connection between the monitor and motherboard?

Or is it because of any hardware problems?

I have no time to send in my laptop again to the Service Center, because I really need to use it for my works.

Thanks in advance.

Student
DJerico
Message 2 of 325 (46,897 Views)

Re: HP Compaq Presario CQ40 screen flickers intermittently

same problem here.  Are there any configurations I can set so the problem is at least minimized (or procedures).

Thanks,

Jeri

Honor Student
violaiine
Message 3 of 325 (46,793 Views)

Hey you guys....I'm totally having the same problem too. When you say intermittent, do you mean like hundreds of lines across the screen, and the comp hangs so you have to force restart it?

I bought my computer 1.5 weeks ago, and I had a whole barrage of problems as well, and this was one of it. They kindly did a 1 on 1 exchange for me, but to my horror it just happened again half an hour ago! I thought all my problems were solved if i got the new set... but no T_T help!

Intern
SolveMyMaze
Message 4 of 325 (46,782 Views)

This again could be a faulty GPU problem. Violaiine, since your having the same problem again, take it back and get your money back, don't buy another HP. Seriously the support leaves a lot to be desired, and so many people are having problems with their units, with little or no support. You'll benefit in the long term for getting your money back. Plus your entitled to your money back because of this, no matter what the store says.

I'm taking it you all have Nvidia GPU's?

Honor Student
neil0614
Message 5 of 325 (46,175 Views)

in my case the flickering line at the bottom of the lcd(about 5mm) is intense only for just a

couple of minutes then it just faded. this happens only after i switch my unit on(even

inside the bios setup) or as i open the lid from standby. I already did flashing the latest

bios, as it recomended here, but still the problem persist. furthermore, flickering only occur in the lcd

but not to the external display. btw, my unit is cq40-310au.

Honor Student
neil0614
Message 6 of 325 (46,026 Views)

I called up the store where i bought my unit and they said there is problem with the lcd of the batch of laptop i bought from them. they suggested me to send it to the service center for the replacment of lcd. fortunately it is still under warranty.
Honor Student
violaiine
Message 7 of 325 (46,019 Views)

Hey Neil,

I encountered the same problem, and managed to exchange a new unit. However the SAME problem happened again, and when I sent it in the second time requesting for a different unit, they had their manager call me and negotiate something else. After some "testing", they deduced that the unit had not been updated to the latest update, and said that previous customers who had the same problem never complained again after the service centre did the updating. I've had the unit back for nearly a month, and no intermittent flickering screens anymore.

Hope that helps.

Ning

Honor Student
neil0614
Message 8 of 325 (45,807 Views)

hi violaiine,

i just want you to ask, if you don't mind, if what sort of updating they did to your unit?..i believe it's either be hardware or software. the former could be replacing the defective components/parts and the later could be flashing the system with latest bios binary file(which i already did)..

I very much appreciate your help...

thakz

Honor Student
rhaiken
Message 9 of 325 (45,343 Views)

hey there!

i bought my unit last jan 26 of this year and i haven't had any problems of some sort until about a month ago. my screen had colorful lines just below the taskba, it was around 0.5 mm thick so i thought that it'll be gone in a few days or so. but after a couple of weeks, it grew thicker. now it's about over 1 mm thick.

ok, i thought, it's fine. but three days ago, my screen bagan flicking. it drove me mad for about 15mins then i turned it off. 

i brought it to the store where i bought my unit yesterday and they told me that this was a common problem amongst the new units of compaq, specifically, the presario cqs. i was sort of relieved and frustrated about the matter...

this flickering stuff won't cause any harm to the unit, right?

to those who brought it to the service center, will they reformat the unit when they fix this? because im gonna prepare backup files in case they do...

thnx

Top Student
baileys79
Message 10 of 325 (45,252 Views)

I bought my Compaq CQ40 in April 2009 and I just noticed that the video display started flickering today (4 mos later).  A line flashes at the bottom of the screen intermittently every 5 seconds or so.  It is not too bothersome but it can get distracting now that I am aware of it.  Is there a way to correct it? Or is exchanging the unit for another the only option? Thanks.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation