Question

Honor Student
kiggis13
Message 1 of 7 (658 Views)

HP ENVY Rove Screen "self-touching"

Hello all,

My HP ENVY Rove 20-k014us Mobile All-in-One Desktop PC has been "self-touching."  The monitor appears as if someone keeps touching the upper center portion of the screen.  I don't know what to do.  Please help!

Thanks,

HP Support Agent
Mrstenter
Message 2 of 7 (629 Views)

Re: HP ENVY Rove Screen "self-touching"

Hi Kiggis13,

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forums and Welcome. I have read that your HP ENVY Rove 20-k014us Mobile and the touchscreen not working correctly. Here is a fix from Microsoft to resolve the Touchscreen.

he touchscreen shouldn't need recalibration, but if you or another user has recalibrate it, it may affect the performance of the touchscreen.

Here’s how to check or restore the factory default calibration using a keyboard or mouse:
Step 1: Press the Windows logo key Windows logo key + S to open Search.
(If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, and then click Search Search charm.)
Step 2:Type Control Panel, then use the arrow keys to highlight Control Panel, and press Enter.
(Or, click Control Panel.)
Step 3:In Control Panel, use the arrow keys to highlight Hardware and Sound and press Enter.
(Or, click Hardware and Sound.)
Step 4:Under Tablet PC Settings use the arrow keys to highlight Calibrate the screen for pen or touch input, and press Enter.
(Or, click Calibrate the screen for pen or touch input.)
Step 5:Use the Tab key to select the Reset button, and press Enter.
(Or, click Reset.)
If the Reset button is grayed out, your Surface touch calibration is still at factory settings and you can move to Solution 3.
Step 6:Use the Tab key to select Yes, press Enter, and then follow the instructions on the screen.
(Or, click Yes, and then follow the instructions on the screen.)
Step 7:After Surface removes recalibration data, test touch input again.

Hope this helps.

Thanks.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
Mrs.Tenter
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
senica
Message 3 of 7 (576 Views)

I have a rove that is doing the same thing. Mine is on the bottom left corner. I have come very close to throwing the computer across the room a couple time because of this. It happens when restarting or waking up.

I sent HP a bug ticket but they just ignored me and gave me some BS solution. There is no Hardware & Sound option in the HP Rove control panel, by the way.

I only use mine for testing so I can usually deal with it. You can hold your finger somewhere on the screen and move your mouse around if you need to get to something.

It would be nice if HP actually asked for one of these self-touching computers back so they could actually see the problem, troubleshoot it, and start giving people real answers. That would make too much sense for a large corporation I suppose.

I'm just tired of feeling like the bad guy when asking for help with their product.

Student
xsammyd
Message 4 of 7 (327 Views)

[ Edited ]

OK, so I am having the same issue as the person above. Clicking on the bottom left corner of the screen. It is quite aggravating to spend a lot of money on something that has a problem in less than a years time. My husband has also came very close to throwing this computer across the room.

We have recalibrate the screen, reset to factory, reinstalled windows, updated drivers, and no matter what we do, the clicking may stop for a week or so, but it ALWAYS comes back.

You can still use the computer but it is a pain. The clicking will cancel out whatever your doing. Like connecting to the Internet. Trying to put in the password is pretty much impossible. 

I have a warranty through Best Buy where I bought it but, they told me it was a manufacture issue and they would have to send it to HP, and it'd take about 3 weeks. I can not go that long without it as it is the only computer i own and it is needed for work and school.

So any other suggestions that would be helpful? Because the one that was given about the screen calibration, wasn't.

Thanks

Honor Student
Tom88
Message 5 of 7 (121 Views)

l also have this same problem with my brand new, first time out of the box machine.  The touchs run straight up the center, from the bottom to about 3/4ths of the way up the screen.  They happen so fast, I have almost no control of the pointer when using the mouse.  It's frustrating trying to learn the windows 8 layout and fighting with the touch screen.  It was almost funny when the app screens would pop up and the touch screens were changing the settings faster than I could close the application.  I was never able to find control panel, but eventually was able to get to a reset screen.  That seemed to be the best option with all the random setting changes.  After running over night, the start up screen is still displaying the same behavior. 

I will try your recommendation tonight, now that I know how to get to control panel, along with the idea of keeping a finger on the screen to try and control the touch screen while I attempt to use the mouse.  Is there a shortcut key to turning off touch screen while I attempt get to the to Calibrate function? 

Honor Student
Tom88
Message 6 of 7 (112 Views)

Unfortunately Mrs Tenter your recommendation failed. After numerous attempts at windows "s" with the apps screen jumping left, right and changing sizes, I was finally able to open the control panel.  Once I was able to move it clear of the worst "self touching" areas, the calibration will not work as the screen continues to touch and negatively impacts the calibration screen.  Most attempts result in me following the cross hair as it bounces from one point to the next without ever getting a chance to touch the screen.  Sometimes it would stop, but would not recognize it when I touched it.  Attempts to adjust the right click and double click speeds did not help.  Reset also failed to improve the situation. I also found nothing that would allow me to turn off the touch screen feature.  I can see now that the random touches also run up the right hand side and include random lines and squiggles that cross and weave around the screen like one of the early microsoft screen savers.  At this point this computer is completely unusable.  I don't believe I can even get connected to the internet to allow someone to remote in to see how truly bad it is.  What steps would you recommend next?

Honor Student
senica
Message 7 of 7 (63 Views)

Do not bother with tech support on this touch screen issue. Return your HP Envoy if you can.

We've had 18 of the 20 HP Envoys fail that we bought within about 6 months of using them. I mean dead, like data not recoverable. The hard drives used in these things are crap. An obviously whatever is going on with the touchscreen is unresolvable.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation