Question

Student
P1321
Message 1 of 2 (174 Views)

HP ENVY Touchsmart 15 Notebook PC. In DESKTOP I have a blank screen, no icons visible

[ Edited ]

I have the HP ENVY Touchsmart 15 Notebook PC. I installed the 8.1 update in november and just a month ago (march) some problems have surfaced which I can't understand. When I go to my DESKTOP it has a blank screen the same color as my home screen instead of my wallpaper, no icons visible, when I open any program once I minimize it it just dissapears, laptop fans spin louder than before, laptop doesn't warn me when battery is low and just shuts off my itself, battery life image shown in the DESKTOP toolbar not accurate so I can't tell when my battery is low. My sister is new to the computer. Since it's touchscreen, you access a lot in the laptop by swiping the screen from one side to another, I don't know if she accidently  touched something that made this happen or if it was something else. I don't have enough computer knoweledge to describe in detail what I believe could be the problem. I am seeking anwers.  

HP Support Agent
Sparkles1
Message 2 of 2 (145 Views)

Re: HP ENVY Touchsmart 15 Notebook PC. In DESKTOP I have a blank screen, no icons visible

Hi P1321,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using the forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience in the HP forum, I would like to direct your attention to the HP Forums Guide First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

I understand you have updated to Windows 8.1 a few months ago without issue. Now however you icons have disappeared from the desktop, the fan is loud and it will auto shutdown. You also stated the battery life image in the toolbar is not accurate.

Here are some documents to assist you with these issues.

Troubleshooting an Overheating and Auto Shutdown Issue

Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 8)

You can also run The HP Support Assistant, to help with updates and resolving issues. 

If you would like further assistance, would you please provide the exact model of HP computer you have, and the Operating System you are running.How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?

Sparkles1
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation