Question

Honor Student
valo265
Message 1 of 10 (1,719 Views)

HP Envy 17 BSOD when watching youtube videos

Hi,

I seem to be having some issues when attempting to view a youtube video on my Envy17. When I attempt to watch a youtube video using IE it seems to just BSOD, however when I use Opera it will crash the video drive and not display the video instead will just show a green screen where the video should be, it will continue to play the sound however.

The laptop specs are

Envy 17

Intel i7 920

2 x 1Tb HDD

Radeon Mobility HD 5850 1 gb

8gb ram

Windows 7 Home Preimum 64bit.

Any assistance would be great.

Thanks

Chris

Honor Student
HP-SteveF
Message 2 of 10 (1,683 Views)

Re: HP Envy 17 BSOD when watching youtube videos

Chris,

I just bought a brand new HP ENVY 17 and I'm having video problems as well.

I don't see any background video graphics in any applications.  I just see white backgrounds.

Have you had any luck getting your video problem fixed?

Steve

Honor Student
valo265
Message 3 of 10 (1,633 Views)

I havent had much luck, I did download a new driver from the ATI site which seem to help for a while. But I just tried to watch another youtube video a minute ago and got the same issue.

Student
thamer2k
Message 4 of 10 (1,582 Views)

exactly the same problem i have with my HP Envy 17

Student
tiagomanunes
Message 5 of 10 (1,447 Views)

Same here. HP Envy 17 1050ep, Windows 7 64bit

Tutor
tameboy
Message 6 of 10 (1,299 Views)

same problem with my hp envy. anyone find a solution to this problem?

Student
Arcydziad
Message 7 of 10 (1,219 Views)

I have Envy 15 witch W7 Pro 64 and Chrome browser, same bug: message drivers stop to work and vides are green or blue screen and memory dump. 

Anyone find a solution ?? Help pls.

Top Student
n0n4m3
Message 8 of 10 (1,179 Views)

I'm also having this problem... This is surely a problem with ATI Drivers and it's not the first time I have this kind of problem with HP and ATI. I had a NX9420 before my Envy 1050ep and it had similar issues with blue screens due to ATI drivers. I did a little debug to the dumps just to make sure that the problem was in the graphic card drivers. After confirming it, I contacted HP and ATI about this and I offered to send them the dumps but none of them showed much interest in trying to solve this pushing me from on side to another.

Back to my Envy 1050ep, I was having BSODs too but recently they launched a new update for ATI Drivers and now I don't have BSODs but the computer just freezes when watching some movies (mostly on Firefox 4, never happened to me when watching videos through VLC or Media Player Classic - Home Cinema x64).

It would be nice to have this issue fixed for once, it's really annoying.

http://www.ricardosabino.com | http://www.zpx.pt
Student
mundens
Message 9 of 10 (1,115 Views)

I have had exactly the same set up and trouble as the original poster. 

I have the latest driver and BIOS and nothing fixes the continual crashing of the video card while playing games. Admitttedly it usually recovers after switching from the game and back again a few times using Alt-Tab, but one can't play a game like that

Fixing the YouTube videos is easy though, you just need to turn hardware accelration off in the Flash plug-in.

You shouldn't have to, of course, but until HP and ATI get their act tongether and actiually make the HP Envy work with the Radeon Mobility cards thats the only solution I've found if you want to play YouTube or other flash video

The HP Envy really looked like it wuold be a good game machine, but like this its really unusable for any serious gaming and I'm thinking of dumping it for an Alienware or something. It's a shame, coz the rest of the hardware is lovely, and the video itself is beautiful when it works, but it looks like I'll have to let everone know not to buy HP if you want to play games.

Top Student
n0n4m3
Message 10 of 10 (914 Views)

@mundens - Thanks! Disabling the hardware acceleration for flash solved my issues :smileyhappy:

http://www.ricardosabino.com | http://www.zpx.pt
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation