Question

Top Student
ArtCast1
Message 1 of 11 (3,186 Views)

HP G72-102SA Screen Problem

IMAG0034.jpgMy laptop just randomly turns white like the photo above with randomly appearing white/black lines going down as if refreshing. (please ignore the coloured cruves, it's because of the camera)

I checked other threads in this forum and i'm pretty sure that the problem is not a loose connection to the monitor as when I press (CTRL+ALT+DEL) SOMETIMES the white screen goes away and goes to the screen that asks me if I want to run Task Manager etc. Furthermore, If I close the lid of my laptop, and goes to sleep and wakes up again, the white screen goes away. 

Also, when the screen goes white, I'm pretty sure I can still control it as I managed to close some windows even though I can't seen it. 

It's running on Windows7 64-bit and I always check that it's up-to-date and even checked if all the drivers are up-to-date. 

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 11 (3,177 Views)

Re: HP G72-102SA Screen Problem

[ Edited ]

Welcome to the HP Forum! :smileyhappy:

Does it always happen when you are booted into Windows or does it also  happen when you are starting the notebook?

Connect the notebook to an external display to see if the problem is replicated. 

Kind regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Top Student
ArtCast1
Message 3 of 11 (3,169 Views)

Oh hi!

Well, I've never experienced it happen while booting.

Ah, I wanted to do that, but it happens normally when I'm doing my work so I never have time. I'll try to do that next time it happens and post results here. However, I THINK that if I do that, it may revert back to normal screen, same as using CRTL+ALT+DEL results.

Anyway, I'll update the results when connecting it to external display.

Top Student
ArtCast1
Message 4 of 11 (3,163 Views)

OK, It just happened to me a while ago and this time I connected it to my TV with a HDMI cable. 

When I connected it, both the TV and my laptop recognised the connection as they both made that particular sound when you connect something to them. However, my laptop's screen didn't change it was still white as described (not what I was expecting) and the TV also didn't show my laptop's extended screen. 

Any idea what could be the problem? Faulty GPU/motherboard or system software?

>just to clarify, I made sure it was in the right HDMI input because that's how I watch my HD videos. 

Provost
erico
Message 5 of 11 (3,137 Views)

ArtCast1 wrote:

OK, It just happened to me a while ago and this time I connected it to my TV with a HDMI cable. 

When I connected it, both the TV and my laptop recognised the connection as they both made that particular sound when you connect something to them. However, my laptop's screen didn't change it was still white as described (not what I was expecting) and the TV also didn't show my laptop's extended screen. 

Any idea what could be the problem? Faulty GPU/motherboard or system software?

>just to clarify, I made sure it was in the right HDMI input because that's how I watch my HD videos. 

What did the TV show?

If a problem does not replicate itself to the external display then the fault is the display, not the chipset. That is assuming that the external display shows a normal windows desktop while the LCD display is showing something abnormal.

Best regards,

erico

regards,

erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Top Student
ArtCast1
Message 6 of 11 (3,135 Views)

My TV doesn't show anything when I connect my laptop while having the problem..just black screen..no reaction except the fact that it recognises that something has been connected..

DX....

Assuming it is a problem with the screen...Oh noes...

Provost
erico
Message 7 of 11 (3,115 Views)

ArtCast1 wrote:

My TV doesn't show anything when I connect my laptop while having the problem..just black screen..no reaction except the fact that it recognises that something has been connected..

DX....

Assuming it is a problem with the screen...Oh noes...

This is leading towards a problem with the notebook's video display solution. Does your notebook have switchable graphics?

I would try another HDMI cable. When you press F4 there is no display on the TV? 

Is your notebook still within its warranty period? (standard warranty is one year)

Best regards,

erico

Top Student
ArtCast1
Message 8 of 11 (3,086 Views)

[ Edited ]

>__<

I'm sure it's not the HDMI..

I've had it for only 13months..just outside its warranty period...well, i guess i'll just have to live with it for now and just buy a new one soon...

thanks for the help anyway...still don't know the exact problem so no "solution"..i'll give a +1 though.

Student
djdkchanson
Message 9 of 11 (1,950 Views)

we have this exact same thing happening to our G72.  we have found that if we plug in an HDMI cord to the computer we can see the computer on the tv screen just fine.  the screen on the laptop will usually come back on just from plugging in the HDMI cord.  We can then unplug the HDMI, and the laptop screen will work just fine again.  I wish there was a fix for this problem so we didn't have to put up with it!

Honor Student
guigeek
Message 10 of 11 (277 Views)

[ Edited ]

hello

i have the same problem

sometime the display goes white (as described in the first post) before windows is loaded

when the laptop screen goes white, i connect the hdmi to my TV and i see windows perctly and i can use it

sometime the laptop display come back and work perfect

so, is it the chipset or the display please ? any fix ?

thank :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation