Question

Top Student
djdaldrich
Message 1 of 22 (1,960 Views)

HP Pavilian Entertainment PC laptop MediaSmart Webcam

HP Pavilian MediaSmart integrated webcam - cannot figure out how to turn it on; In addition to inability to create personal video on laptop, won't come on with Skype, message states something to do with streaming incorrectly

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 2 of 22 (1,959 Views)

Re: HP Pavilian Entertainment PC laptop MediaSmart Webcam

To use the webcam you will need to use HP MediaSmart Webcam Application... To access the application Click on Start and in the search area, type webcam, it will show up in the result section....

On the Error that your getting from skype... start with check in device manager, under imaging device for HP webcam...

If this does not help, kindly post, the exact model number of Notebook and Current OS it is running on....

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"
Top Student
djdaldrich
Message 3 of 22 (1,947 Views)

Re your first recommendation, got to the Webcam (as we have been able to do) but got a message "Does not detect a webcam.  if using an integrated device, make sure it is turned on."  Perhaps we don't know how to turn it on, as we can find nothing to help us do this.  Specifically, we have HP Pavillion Entertainment PC notebook dv4 with Windows 7.  We haven't tried Skype yet again figuring that the turn on issue would make that effort futile.  Did I provide the info you needed to continue assist?

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 4 of 22 (1,923 Views)

If i can get the exact model number that would be great and at the same time I would like you check in device manager, if HP webcam is listed under Imaging Device...

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Top Student
djdaldrich
Message 5 of 22 (1,905 Views)

I see only ADMIN-PC under Devices in the Devices and Printers ICON.

How do I find the exact model number of the HP webcam?  It is one of the options under the MediaSmart ICON, but no other identifying information.  Just to let you know, that on two separate occassions awhile ago, I did get the webcam to work, I believe by simply clicking on the ICON, similarly, Skype worked only once without any effort.

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 6 of 22 (1,890 Views)

[ Edited ]

OH NO-NO-NO, not there....So click, Start, in the search box, type Device manager, once it shows up click on it....Now over here...look for HP Webcam, Below is screenshot on what you should be looking for...

980i8C24D5B75175320E

Top Student
djdaldrich
Message 7 of 22 (1,869 Views)

There is nothing there that says Imaging Devices.  I see the "IDE ATA" and "Keyboards", but nothing inbetween.

Student
wataperez
Message 8 of 22 (1,856 Views)

hi i have the exact same problem when i try to use the webcam with media smart it tells me that the device is turned off or its not connected i have a pavilion dv6- 1375dx

Distinguished Professor
Cyclops
Message 9 of 22 (1,850 Views)

@ djdaldrich & wataperez - 

Check if you anything listed as unknown device in device manager...if not, I would suggest doing a power drain and setting BIOS to default and checking as well....If the Webcam is alive, the system will pick it up as unknown device at least....

The last resort will be to a complete system recovery and checking...

Top Student
djdaldrich
Message 10 of 22 (1,845 Views)

Nothing unknown that I can see.

Thanks for the recommendations following, but I'll need to get some smart help to move forward on them--it's all Greek to me!  thanks for your time.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation