HP Pavilion DV4-2045DX White Screen Problem (9748 Views)
Student
quillman
Message 1 of 8 (9,748 Views)

HP Pavilion DV4-2045DX White Screen Problem

Recently, I turned on my computer and found that the LCD screen showed only bright white. The laptop hand not been droppped or mishandled that I am aware of. I connected the laptop to an external monitor via VGA. External monitor displayed properly.

I assumed at that point that the problem was either the cable bundle or the LCD display itself.  I dismantled the laptop to check connections of the cable and to inspect to see if the cable had obvious signs of wear or fraying. Found none, so I reseated all of the connections and reassembled the laptop. Fired it up and got same result ( White Screen)

I ordered a replacement cable and installed it. Fired it up. Same result, white screen.

Next I ordered a replacement LCD screen. Installed it and fired it up. Same result.

Question... is there any point in replacing the inverter? Inverter failures typically result in a black screen, not the white screen I'm getting. Have I missed anything? If I have not, it seems that I must have either two bad cables or two bad LCDs, which seems unlikely. I'm running out of ideas and collective at the same time. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in Advance

Quill

Student
bobbydigital
Message 2 of 8 (9,665 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion DV4-2045DX White Screen Problem

FYI....hope it helps with your diagnosis

While rumaging through my spare parts closet during my mission to diagnose a 100% bIacked-out screen on a friend's dv4-2045dx i came across a DELL (pls note: NOT HP) Parts ID Return Form.  I found a DSP Checklist printed on the back of it for determining/correcting common system failures. A few of the steps in one section stuck out having just seen your post yesterday (mainly "WHITE screen") . I have only included the steps relevant to your scenario from what was printed on the form (p/n 4J50 rev. A00):

"LCD Failure/No Video  -  System completes POST, but either displays NO video or problem video"

"Test on an external monitor with the LCD cable disconnected from the board to make sure the integrated video card works""

"Reseat the FPC cable to system board and inverter and verify there is no damage to the cable"

"If DIM video, WHITE screen or LINES, swap the original inverter and cable separately and check backlight ZIF connector to the inverter and the cable connection to the panel"

"If gray borders or large blocks of black and white show up, flash to the most recent BIOS"

Good luck!

BTW, how much did you pay for the parts you had to purchase?

Cheers!

Robert

Honor Student
baffled71
Message 3 of 8 (8,388 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion g7 White Screen Problem

White screen on startup, OK after putting to sleep and restarting a number of times - laptop still under a year old so returned it to PC World on a number of times, but they appear to be unable to sort it!!

Student
Elkopoco
Message 4 of 8 (8,384 Views)

I am having the exact problem with my Pavilion g7.  It just started about a month ago.  Spent some time this morning with HP Assist - reinstalled graphics drivers.  It seemed to fix the problem, but it didn't.  Still having a white screen on start up.  Any thoughts?

Honor Student
baffled71
Message 5 of 8 (8,333 Views)

Hi

Thanks for your input - I took my laptop back to PC World again, and was rather forcefull this time, and as the manager said this was the 3rd time it had been returned, and was only purchased at the end of March I was entitled to a replacement (which I already knew as it contravened the sale of good act) so, - I now have an Acer (with a 15.5 inch screen, instead of a 17 inch, but for the sake of being able to start it I'm willing to poke up with that. 

I have an older Hewlett Packard laptop with exactly the same problem - drives you mad doesn't it.  If your laptop is out of the obligatory 1 year warranty I would take it to an independent computer repairer if you have a good one in your location - certainly NOT PC World repair service.  From what I can glean from the internet it may well have been a crushed lead - because of the restricted space around the hinges this does happen sometimes, also it may have been something known as the inverter board, or more depressingly a fault display unit, anyway, I wish you luck with it, and don't forget, if it's under a year old hit them for a replacement - transferring all the files and software is a bit of a bugger though!  Anyway good luck.

Top Student
rocket051699
Message 6 of 8 (7,385 Views)

Have same issue with dv5 1125nr. White screen after cable replaced. Replaced hinges and chaffed cable with exposed wires. External monitor fine. Have heard about the dv5 reflow issue but don't believe that's the problem. Haven't replaced the inverter but assumed it was not the problem. So, backlight works, external works, new cable seated several times, GPU is fine, LCD screen seems OK since its backlit, what else is there? And ty to Bobby digital for that diagnostic post. That's probably the best help I have seen yet.
Until my dv5 is fixed, I will not give up searching for the problem.
Student
kalinath
Message 7 of 8 (4,103 Views)

Sir, I have HP laptop purchased about 3 years back now when I switch on the lap top I find complete white screen. I contacted a Vendor he says problem with battery after disconnecting the battery it was switched on. after that I didn't use that laptop day berfore yesterday I switch the laptop with out takeing out the battery It was running OK.But again yesterday I could not switch on the Laptop with Battery or with out Battery white screen is comming. It is also observed that after swith-off the power supply laptop is running with battery, means battery is taking charge. Again I took out battery after 10 mnt switch on the laptop but the result is same. I didn't get any recovery CD or something like that please guide me what to do.

czc Student
Student
czc
Message 8 of 8 (1,517 Views)

I just had the same problem with a HP Pavillion DV4    THESE ARE NOT CHEAP COMPUTERS

WHAT GIVES?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation