Question

Honor Student
FrancesAPNM
Message 1 of 6 (2,501 Views)

HP Pavilion DV5000 on start up has black screen and one long beep then 3 short beeps

Hi my hp pavilion laptop DV5000 on start up has black screen and one long beep then 3 short beeps then one long beep and another 3 short beeps. The lights stay on but nothing happens. The PC has been quite slow over the past year. The laptop is about 4 years old I think. Any advice on what the problem is and how much will it cost to get fixed (£'s). Has only just happened was OK before just slow on connecting etc. I thought this had something to do with AVG, but maybe it is the screen packing up ?

Thanks

Frances

Provost
erico
Message 2 of 6 (2,494 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion DV5000 on start up has black screen and one long beep then 3 short beeps

If you want to see if the screen is dying plug in an external monitor and press the power button. If it boots up to a normal Windows desktop on the external display--> you may be correct.

Best regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having
****I am a volunteer, I don't work for Microsoft or HP****

2014 Microsoft MVP - Microsoft Windows Expert - Consumer

Honor Student
FrancesAPNM
Message 3 of 6 (2,485 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion DV5000 on start up has black screen and one long beep then 3 short beeps

Hi

Thanks for that, I got my monitor out and plugged it in and now I have no power at all.  I think it has just died, although when checking the connection of the monitor I got a tiny tingly shock in my fingers. This also happened the other day when I was touching the bottom on the keyboard, when resting my wrists.  Do you think this is the end of the road for my lappy ?

Thanks

Frances

Provost
erico
Message 4 of 6 (2,482 Views)

HI,

FrancesAPNM wrote:

Hi

Thanks for that, I got my monitor out and plugged it in and now I have no power at all.  I think it has just died, although when checking the connection of the monitor I got a tiny tingly shock in my fingers. This also happened the other day when I was touching the bottom on the keyboard, when resting my wrists.  Do you think this is the end of the road for my lappy ?

Thanks

Frances

Try a hard reset:

Remove the battery and unplug the DC power adapter.
press and hold the power button for more than fifteen seconds.
plug in the DC power adapter (leave the battery out for now)
press the power button

please post your results here.

Best regards,
erico

Help others by clicking on the "Accept As Solution" button if my suggestion resolves the issue you were having

Honor Student
FrancesAPNM
Message 5 of 6 (2,479 Views)

HI Erico

Did as you said, powered up and only 2 short beeps this time. Black screen with various tests but have error 0211: keyboard error says press F1 to resume. All RAM passed and Sys and vid BIOS shadowed. Pressed F1 and nothing happened. So faulty keyboard ? Getting somehwere now though glad I found this forum.

Thanks

Frances

Provost
erico
Message 6 of 6 (2,464 Views)

HI,

FrancesAPNM wrote:

HI Erico

Did as you said, powered up and only 2 short beeps this time. Black screen with various tests but have error 0211: keyboard error says press F1 to resume. All RAM passed and Sys and vid BIOS shadowed. Pressed F1 and nothing happened. So faulty keyboard ? Getting somehwere now though glad I found this forum.

Thanks

Frances

Faulty keyboard isn't that likely but can be tested by plugging in usb keyboard.

Try another hard reset. This time if you can get into BIOS check the settings and if possible write them down and post them here. Clear CMOS does exactly that. 

Best regards,
erico

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation