HP Pavilion DV9000 display problem (5164 Views)
Honor Student
Lawie
Message 1 of 16 (5,164 Views)

HP Pavilion DV9000 display problem

Hey guys,

My HP pavilion dv9000 wont display picture, It happened after installing new Nvidia display driver, at first it worked ok, but after reboot the screen just lights up a bit and displays some lighter spots and turns black.

I connected an external display which works(with 4bit), but I can only access safe mode. Trying to access normal mode gives me blue screen after a little wait. device manager shows me my grafics card(Nvidia geforce go 7600)  but I am missing Intel (R) 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Controller - 27B9 driver , I tired to install the drivers I was able to locate but non of them would even install(possible conflict with win7?).

I am using windows 7rc (before that I used beta) I had no issues, but now I am kinda lost and nothing seems to help

any ideas? can it be just the interface controller screwing around or is it connected to an hardware issue?

Thanks

Intern
trinny2812
Message 2 of 16 (5,139 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion DV9000 display problem

Welcome to the my 'hp laptop is a doorstop club' ... my gpu fried last week and after coming back to life a couple of times is now just a worthless piece of junk (I have dv9548us with the nVidia GeForce 8600M GS) do a search on the nVidia defect and you will turn up thousands of us with this problem ... hp do nothing except tell us our systems are out of warranty and basically unlucky.  This is a manufacturing defect that was known about in 2007, they failed to inform us though and chose to let us use our systems until they failed when they were out of warranty.

Also, when I did get mine up and running, having taken the laptop apart and applying thermal compound to the gpu (there was none) I downloaded a utility which showed me that the gpu had been seriously underclocked, this was effective in prolonging the life until after the warranty expired, that coupled with my habit of leaving the system running rather than turning it off (prevents heat cycling) meant it lasted longer than average.  HP's response? Basically, tough luck!  I'm telling everyone I meet about this issue as I think it's disgusting that HP get away with this.

Now looking at a new laptop from someone with better business ethics ... the customer does not matter one jot to HP, very short sighted as they will get no repeat custom from me, I was a fan of HP before this issue.

Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 3 of 16 (5,053 Views)

Both of you should try calling HP again.

Try 1-866-671-7362, see this thread

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
Intern
trinny2812
Message 4 of 16 (5,031 Views)

I actually posted a response to that thread stating that hp will not receive a penny from me for what is essentially a manufacturing defect know about during 2007 and when my warranty was still valid.

I and many others like myself will NEVER buy an hp product again, and I am ensuring that everyone I meet is made aware of this issue and hp's appalling treatment of its customers.  Perhaps when their business fails, due to sharply declining sales, they will sit back and wonder whether they should have dealt with this in a more sensible manner.  I will be sitting back and laughing because that will be the only satisfaction I will ever get from hp.

Rubbish company, rubbish customer service.

Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 5 of 16 (5,003 Views)

@trinny2812

In this forum, we are trying to help each other.

If you wish other than that, I recommend you to post in other forum.

There is a dedicated independent forum out there that have the same way as yours on expressing their frustration. 

Good luck

______

Pavilion DV2922TX, XP-SP3 32bit, Intel T5750 2.0Ghz, Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS with 128MB, 4GB 667 DDR2, 250GB HDD
Intern
trinny2812
Message 6 of 16 (4,936 Views)

The problem is, that nobody on this forum has the actual power to do anything, so might it not help to show hp just how frustrated we really are?  They have got to realise that they will kill their own business this way.  Oh and I know about the other site ... at least they give good advice on who to call and the database of serial numbers is huge, and shows that this issue is huge.  It's a shame that hp choose to delete any posts that could help.
Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 7 of 16 (4,867 Views)

Yes, this forum do not have any power but many of HP users found it useful since it is a free user to user support.

Especially if you are out of warranty. 

If you wish for working dv9000 without waiting for HP action to recall your model, actually you can repair it by yourself like I did.

However, if you wish for fight, go join that forum.

______

Intern
trinny2812
Message 8 of 16 (4,857 Views)

I have already repaired it actually ... seems to be stable for now, booting without issues and running graphics perfectly.  However, that is not the point ...hp should not be doing this to their customers, and regardless of whether mine is working (because I am competent enough to fix it), there are thousands of others that aren't and hp should be doing something.
Distinguished Professor
Rakhmad
Message 9 of 16 (4,842 Views)

As written, if you wish for a fight, join that forum, give them your contributions. 

Complaining in this forum would not give any benefits, many others has chose a different way than yours.

Let them decide which one is suitable to them.

HP has decided to deal in a different way for GPU problem, you have to live with it.

I beliave they already have numbers before taking any decisions.

______

Intern
trinny2812
Message 10 of 16 (4,839 Views)

Might not give any benefits to me, but others considering buying hp may just think twice knowing how they will be treated 2 years down the line.  I assume you have some sort of affiliation with hp, and that is the reason that you are being so vociferous in their defence.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation