Question

Student
JrSadFish
Message 1 of 9 (12,997 Views)

HP Pavilion Dv6 screen problem

[ Edited ]

I recently purchased an HP Pavilion Dv6 laptop computer. I used it for most of the day until I opened it up later in the day and noticed the screen was blank. There was a small blotch on the bottom right-hand side of the screen, but it was then I noticed that I could very feintly see, on the bottom right-hand corner of the screen, the time and date. I could then very lightly see the desktop when I shined a bright flashlight onto it. I'm not sure if it's the screen, the backlight, or just some screwed up connections. If I could get any help before I call customer support, that'd be great. Thanks.

Master's Graduate
maxpower757
Message 2 of 9 (12,992 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion Dv6 screen problem

If it is under warranty then send it in.

If not take the keyboard and other plastic stuff off and inspect the video ribbon cable.  Make sure it's plugged in and intact (they are flimsy).

Consult the manual whenever taking a laptop apart.

Manual for dv6:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01758220.pdf

Unplug, take the battery out, stay static free, and follow the manual excactly.

Honor Student
Haller
Message 3 of 9 (12,311 Views)

Hello all,

I purchased the same model (Pavillion dv6) about the same time as the original poster, and it occasionally does this trick where the backlight doesn't get reactivated when the computer is opened. I've scoured the internet and a lot of people have this problem, but they always get advised to either buy a new screen or send the laptop in for repairs.

Well, I'm pretty sure it's a software problem. If you manage to operate the start menu when the backlight is off and send the computer into hibernation, as it wakes you'll see the windows logo as normal, but then when it shows the prompt to enter your password the backlight gets deactivated again. You can reproduce the failure if you remove the power cable a second or so after closing the lid. On waking the computer the backlight will be disabled. I think it's something to do with the power management software, since it happens when you remove the power cable.

PS: ten minutes ago I was fumbling around in my documents in the dark trying to save everything before I rebooted and I accidentally overwrote an important file and have lost three weeks worth of work. Oh, and on my previous attempts to report the problem the HP passport user registration webpage did not show the 'submit' button and I generally couldn't be bothered to enter all my details again. Turns out the website doesn't show that button if you're on the Opera web browser, and losing all that work got me angry enough that I opened the website in Firefox and found out what was going on. I'm noticing a theme when it comes to HP and quality control...

Anyway I hope you guys get busy and release a patch soon!

Master's Graduate
maxpower757
Message 4 of 9 (12,309 Views)

What makes you think that it's software?  When windows is loading initially it creates a lot of heat and if you are damaged internally by that point the light will fail.

Myself and most on this board don't work for hp and I have lost a lot more than three weeks of work from their incompetence.  That being said, if this one file was that important you should have backed it up.  I backup all sensitive data in triplicate.

You don't mention what OS this is that you "think" has a software problem, what you have done to fix it so far, or any useful information.  I understand your frustration but hickacking a 6 month old thread and complaining will get you no where here.

You need to start a new thread titled something like dv6 backlight broken.

Please include:

OS

How long you've had the problem

Are you in warranty

What have you done to fix it already

What kind of antivirus do you have

Anything that can help us help you.

Honor Student
Haller
Message 5 of 9 (12,282 Views)

Thanks for the quick response.

Sorry for the forum necromancy, I wasn't thinking. It guess doesn't really matter anyhow, the title of my thread would be identical. I was also spitting fire when I wrote the first post, which isn't a state conducive to polite explanation of my specific circumstances and if I was crass I apologize.

I have had this problem since I bought the computer six months ago and am still under warranty as far as I know. I'm running windows 7 and Avast antivirus. To fix the problem I've done no more than poked around in the power options and tried to only plug the power cable in when the computer is awake.

I "thought" it was a software problem because it only ever occurs when the computer wakes from sleep, has occurred since I bought the computer which has had no other problems, and doesn't seem to be connected with how hot the computer is at the time or how long it has been booted up for, and because it can be reproduced in the manner I described above. I can send the computer into hibernation with the backlight disabled over and over, and the windows loading screen shows up just fine every time. The backlight only fails at the moment when the login/password entry screen appears. The problem occurs whatever power plan settings you use (I've tried for a while to find one that doesn't disable the backlight at all).

I've also noticed that sometimes when you do the trick of removing the power cable, if you wait ten seconds or so the backlight will come on again. Rarely it can also be prompted to turn on if you insert the power cable or remove it. Despite the absence of the backlight, the screen and computer itself seems to be working just fine - in my experience a graphics card hardware failure tends to freeze the screen and hang the computer.

It's probably pointless to argue about whether the problem is truly hardware or software based because we are only informed by our experience as users, but I kind of hope it is the latter because a patch is a lot easier to apply than a new PMU.

Anyway, cheers.

Master's Graduate
maxpower757
Message 6 of 9 (11,718 Views)

Didn't see this because I don't check the site often anymore, sorry.

There are two command line things that may help. I would try turning off hibernation and restoring default power schemes.

To turn off hibernation, go start, cmd, and type:
powercfg -h OFF
and press enter

To restore default power schemes:

powercfg /RestoreDefaultPolicies

Hibernation is a pain in the ass, I don't think it's necessary and it causes me touchpad problems. That has to be software if it works sometimes and so sporadically like that. Try those two lines and see what it does for you. Could be a driver thing too but try that first to rule those out.
Honor Student
YCWA
Message 7 of 9 (8,689 Views)

[ Edited ]

Since my dv6 entertaintment latop is working again, I am happy to share my experience. This is the same text that I have posted in another entry.

My db6 entertaintment laptop had blackscreen for a while.  It worked just fine on a external monitor. Only a few days ago my screen was working again.

Since it was a LED brighview display, so changing inverter was not a viable means to fix the problem. The hardware diagnostic alway complained about a bad battery since it was 1 year and 3 months old. After removing the battery there was no more problem found by the hardware diagnostics but the display was still black. The power discharge by holding power button for a minute did not help, nor were those helpful youtube tips.  I wanted to think it was the battery as I could not see what went wrong.

After getting a new battery, the laptop still had a blacksreen even after the new battery was fully charged. I continued to use my laptop using the external monitor, and the wall power outlet with the new battery. After a few days of using the new battery without the wall power for some reasons, the battery was drained and failed to display on the external monitor when I wanted to use it again.  After pluging into the power wall outlet, and started the laptop again, the display started to work.  It has been working for several days now so I am happy to share my experince. Since using the external monitor, my laptop has been sitting on the desktop even after the screen is working again. So I do not know if that will make the monitor to go black again if it has been carried around a bit more.

Student
Message 8 of 9 (5,139 Views)

HP pavilion dv6, laptop turns on fine, works great, close the lid and open it again the screen goes blank.

unplug the screen and plug back in again and before you put the outside border on , you can turn on the laptop and works great.

put the outside plastic on and screw it up and the screen turns off.

how annoying.  any suggestions ?

I found out the system is fine, i plug in an external monitor and no problems. just would be good to use the laptop screen.

Honor Student
NinjAssasin
Message 9 of 9 (4,845 Views)

Hello I have a major problem. My laptop fell on the table yesterday, it doesnt have cracks but when i turn it on the power goes on and the fans are spinning but the problem is that it has no display, it only shows black screen and it has small lights on the side of the LCD. I've been trying all the tutorials in youtube and google like removing the battery and the charger and the holding on the power button for about 1 min  but it daoesnt work :smileysad:  I try connecting it to the external monitor uisng HDMI cable and it works. Please help me. My auntie would be very dissapointed on me if she finds this out.

P.S soryy for my bad english

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation