Question

Honor Student
irvinh
Message 1 of 4 (1,965 Views)

HP Pavilion dm4 1150ea very dim screen

[ Edited ]

Over the past few weeks my Pavilion dm4 1150ea has suddenly developed some problem with the brightness of the screen. It suddenly goes extremely dim, way below the normal bottom threshold of brightness, so it's almost not visible. Just to test the VGA card, when i plug in a projector, the screen sometimes comes back to normal brightness, sometimes it doesn't. The picture from the projector or an external screen is ok, but i cannot use the laptop on it's own because it's too dim (almost a black screen).

At that very dim level that it goes to, it is possible to adjust the brightness, but it never reaches a visible level. You can go up and down but effectively one can only adjust the level of brightness from an absolutely black screen to something barely visible at the highest brightness.

Even after a restart this does not change. I've re-installed the last 2 BIOS updates (F.26 and F.27) to see if anything changes but there's no change. I tried changing the drivers among the last 3 versions but nothing seems to work.

At some point i thought it was something to do with the way the sleep function works because initially the screen would go extremely dim about a min after i wake the machine up from the sleep state. So i stopped putting it to sleep and began to shut it down totally so as to avoid "Sleep". Now after 2 weeks of this working as a solution, the screen suddenly went dim and nothing seems to bring it back to the normal range of brightness.

Could somebody please suggest what the problem could be ... and perhaps how to solve it.

Teacher
potent
Message 2 of 4 (1,957 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dm4 1150ea very dim screen

How about the external video source?

Are you abel to get the proper brightness threshold?

Try adjusting the brightness by holding the Fan key and then tap on F3.  If that doesn't help much, you could update the video drivers. Most of the times it could be a loose connector for the back light of the screen. But nothing can be assumed till we check if it can be resolved by software updates. Reply back for any solution

Potent
Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
See a great post? Give it a Kudos!
I am employed by HP
Honor Student
irvinh
Message 3 of 4 (1,927 Views)

Yes with the external video source it works perfectly. The brightness is ok there.

I already tried the drivers uninstalling re-installing older ones and then moving forward along the later versions .... nothing changed.

Student
YuLiang
Message 4 of 4 (327 Views)

U could probably go to Bios ... System configuration ... Virtualization technology ... Unable it ...

Yu
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation