Question

Top Student
AzureGear
Message 1 of 9 (7,312 Views)

HP Pavilion dv5 - 1110ef: Screen problems

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I'm new here and I hope I'm posting this in the right section.

So...

A few months after my sister bought her hp pavilion dv5 laptop, it started flickering white with horizontal and/or vertical lines, but tilting the screen would stop it so could live with it. After she's had an accident with it (cracked lcd screen), she replaced it, and worked perfect for awhile without any flicker or other problems/symptoms (2 months or so). But they quickly reappeared and started flickering again, tilting still works. But some day, she turned it on and found out it went all black this time (no backlight or any sign of power, it's the same as when it's not on), so it was unusable for awhile. She brought it to me and I tried connecting it to my monitor (external), it worked. I took it to a store, they tried replacing the lcd screen it self with a new one, it did work this time too, which proved the problem was with the screen (broken? burnt?), and not the inverter or anything else. But I didn't buy a new screen this time, since I don't know what's originally causing them to burn/break, and of fear of the problems/symptoms to re-appear and again break the new screen. Can it be due to overheat? Is it the video card? Is the inverter causing new screen
to burn each time? Anything else?

Before taking any repair/replacement steps I decided it would wiser to first identify/diagnose the source of the problem.
I tried many software related fix (which is rather silly at this rate I guess), it naturally failed.

Here's more info about the laptop: (Also, it out of warranty of course)

• Product: HP Pavilion dv5 Notebook PC
  • Model #: dv5 - 1110ef
  • p/n:FP714EA#ABF
  • Processor: AMD Turion X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-72     2.10 GHz
  • Graphics card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450
  • OS: MS Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bits SP2 (Original, same OS since I bought it)

Sorry for the long post and I hope I've been clear enough in my description of the problem. Is it a known issue/acknowledged by HP themselves regarding similar models?

Have a good one,

Azure Gear.

Top Student
AzureGear
Message 2 of 9 (7,271 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv5 - 1110ef: Screen problems

Hi again,

Can someone please reply to this? After all, Is it only due to overheat? What about the screen flickering at first? Is all I need to do replace the lcd again? If so, will there be risk of it to break again?

If you have an idea why it is doing this and you think I should risk my self again on buy a new screen, please reply.

Thank you.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 3 of 9 (7,254 Views)

From what you described it sounds more like the video cable has failed or is failing, the external monitor works, so that rules out the video card. If it's running hot, then the cooling vents probably need cleaning. A can of compressed air will work, provided that they are no too clogged. If they are severely blocked, the laptop will have to be disassembled and physically cleaned out.

If it's still under warrantee then HP should deal with it and if its is the cable, it would be unusual for it to be giving problems so soon, but as I said, the symptoms point in that direction. The cables become internally frayed around the hinge area, but this takes a while for this to happen, unless it was not routed properly in the first place. Perhaps it is being pinched some where.

How old is the laptop ?

Student
bmiller116
Message 4 of 9 (7,252 Views)

I have had the same exact problem w/ two different HP laptops now.  Was hoping the first time was just a freak thing since the laptop was a few years old but I have the problem again with my second one.  I purchased it @ best buy and had the geek squad protection so the first time they looked at it they told be it was a loose LCD cable and they "fixed it".  A few months later I started having the problems again and of course by then my geek squad coverage had expired.  I have sent several emails to various HP contacts and the most response I have gotten so far is "sorry about your problem, your laptop is no longer under warranty, but we would be more than happy to sell you another one".  Personally to the point of switching to a different brand since HP doesn't seem to want to stand behind theirs.  Good Luck!!!

Top Student
AzureGear
Message 5 of 9 (7,232 Views)

[ Edited ]

I think the laptop is from 3 to 4 years old, I don't exactly remember since it's my sister's, and yes, as I have mentioned it isn't under warranty anymore.

Well I must say you're probably right about the cooling vents, I don't think they've been cleaned even once since she bought it. And yes, it's running really hot (it used to restart randomly but that was long ago and it doesn't anymore). I guess it has to be cleaned out physically

The symptoms appeared in the first screen before it was broken/cracked accidentally, after it was changed, they didn't show up for awhile so we assumed it was only the 1st LCD screen that was wrong. But they reappeared again in the new one, even worse, the new one is now unusable/broke.

I'm experienced with disassembling and cleaning the cooling fans of desk PCs, but I never have done so with a laptop. It seemed complex after looking on a guide on how to take apart this exact kind/model of laptop.

Now that I think about it, it can't be the inverter, because if it was I would of seen a dim image. It can't be the video card, because if it was it wouldn't work on an external monitor (VGA cable). So it leaves out the video/lcd cable... Is that right? Or not?

So what should I do next? Have someone clean the vents, and check for issues with the video cable? Is it possible to replace it, and is it usually expensive?

By the way, after a technician replaced the lcd screen with a new one to see if works (which worked indeed), he said he manipulated/moved (don't know what really fits here) the video/lcd cable, and the screen started flickering. Does that prove that the video cable is indeed faulty? And is it because of it that the 2nd screen broke?

You said it should take a while for the cable to become internally frayed around the hinge area, although the laptop may be 3/4 years old, the symptoms started soon enough after she bough it. (2/3 months)

EDIT: One last thing, where is the video cable located exactly, does it go from the screen all the way to the video card?

Big thanks for your support.

Regards,

Azure Gear.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 6 of 9 (7,199 Views)

The video cable comes out the bottom of the screen (left side usually) and plugs into the system board near it's respective hinge area.

A bad video cable will not damage the screen, the screen will simply stop working. I don't know why the screen has failed, maybe they put in a used one or it was mounted wrong, but a bad cable does not burn the screen out or cause it to crack.

You will have to disassemble the screen to remove the cable and the cable it self is not expensive, you may want to get a trusted repair shop to this.

When I have time this evening I can post some videos from HP how to get to it and where to buy another cable.

Top Student
AzureGear
Message 7 of 9 (7,194 Views)

Thanks.

I now understand that the screen issue is completely not related to the video cable issue... I will have to replace both the lcd screen and the video cable If I still think reviving this laptop is worth it (which I think is).

The screen was mounted new, because we bought it first (brand new) then took it to a technician who could mount it. Maybe it was mounted wrong... But I really doubt it, since the person who did it is experienced with replacing/mounting lcd screens.

Could overheat have anything to do with it? (take into account that it was often put on a bed which I know is wrong). I will make sure to clean it and not let it get clogged with dust from now on. (Tho I will have to learn how to if I want to do it myself in the future).

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 8 of 9 (7,159 Views)

[ Edited ]

http://h20574.www2.hp.com/default.htm?lang=en&cc=US&hpappid=psml

dv5.PNG

Your maintenance and service guide.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01550108.pdf

Look on page 28, chapter 3 for the part number. Yours is the WXGA so the part number is 493020-001.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01560744&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&cc=us&dlc=en...

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-HP-PAVILION-DV5-LCD-SCREEN-VIDEO-CABLE-493020-001-/270625779158#vi-desc

http://www.getpartsonline.com/493020-001.html  I have dealt with these people before.

If you Google the part number you can see for your self too.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=493020-001&_sacat=See-All-Catego...

They appear to be very common _ don't buy a used one.

Here is an explanation of what WXGA means and the others as well.

http://tim.searchwarp.com/swa236321.htm

Top Student
AzureGear
Message 9 of 9 (7,119 Views)

Sorry for the late reply.

Thanks for advice and links (I already had the manual).

I will avoid used ones. Is it still worth it to invest in repairing this laptop's screen and lcd cable? I fear it will break again if the problem is something else.

Your help is and was highly appreciated, Kudos to you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation