Question

Honor Student
gingerpunch
Message 1 of 7 (8,238 Views)

HP Pavilion dv5- screen is flickering

My laptop is just shy of being two years old, and I've never really had problems with it until recently. A month or so ago, my screen started randomly flickering, and it has progressively gotten worse as the weeks have passed. It's incredibly bothersome, because sometimes it will make my entire screen go white for seconds at a time. Any ideas on what could be wrong? Thanks so much, happy holidays.

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 2 of 7 (8,212 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion dv5- screen is flickering

Connecting an external monitor will tell you if it's the video card or the laptop display itself. Run both at the same time.

Honor Student
gingerpunch
Message 3 of 7 (8,203 Views)

How will it tell me? I've never hooked it up to an external moniter...

Regents Professor
HaggisCat
Message 4 of 7 (8,176 Views)

It's simple, if the external monitor screen flickers at the same time with the laptop screen then it's your video card because the video card would be affecting both.

If the external monitor is nice and stable and the laptop screen flickers then it's just the laptop screen that's faulty. If that is the case it's probably a loose connection or a failing inverter.

The inverter is a transformer to step up the tiny laptop voltage to operate the back light in the laptop's LCD display.

The back light also may be going, some lights are removable while others are an integral part of the screen and the whole thing will have to be in place.

The back light and inverter are a lot like a ballast and fluorescent tube that begin to flicker and fail when they get old.

Connecting an external monitor is the easiest way to determine if it's the video card or the monitor.

Ounce the monitor is connected, usually through VGA or HDMI (which is best) hold down the "WIndows" key and the "P" key at the same time to display both if it does not do so automatically. Choose "Duplicate"

If you don't have a monitor you can use your TV if it has an HDMI connection, or some stores will even let you use a floor display one if you tell them what you are doing, but bring your own cable.

Student
Peta245
Message 5 of 7 (8,138 Views)

Hi there, i have a HP Pavilion dv5 notebook and well the screen has a tendency to flicker to mostly white with thin colored bars (reflecting some colors that are supposed to be shown) going vertical in the center, and some going horizontal near the top.

The problem has only arisen recently, and it shows up sporadically. Sometimes it just flickers a second or two, then returns to normal, and doesn't happen for a while. Other times, it's going near constantly, and I can't see what I'm doing.

Also, sometimes before or after the screen has flickered, thick horizontal bars darken the screen and move from top to bottom repeatedly, vaguely remenisant of when you take a video of TV or the like, and horizontal bars scroll down it.

It seems that it also only usually happens when a) the lapotp is not on a sturdy surface, small shakes every now and again because of the surface, and b) whenever I tilt the screen.

Sometimes, just putting the screen at a different position fixes it, but most of the time I just have to wait out until it stops flickering.

I'm running Vista Home Premium 32-bit,

graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 9200M GS

in device manager, it says the driver is "Generic PnP Monitor", but also says it's the most up-to-date driver.

I tried connecting the laptop to the external screen and for the first 30mins neither of the screen flickered but about 10 more mins later the laptop screen started flickering whilst the external monitor did not. So i am guessing the laptop screen in the problem... How can i get this fixed? 

My personal email is kbdad2003@yahoo.com, u can directly contact me there. Thank you

Student
rigmastft
Message 6 of 7 (7,328 Views)

I've determined its my inverter/backlight and definitely not the video card. Is there a way for me to fix this on my own or does a professional technician have to do it?

Honor Student
thiaf
Message 7 of 7 (7,280 Views)

The reason that's why you were having this flickering screen is because of the main LCD itself. Try to boot you notebook to BIOS, thru F10 then see and verify if you were able to expirience a flickering screen on the BIOS. If the problem reoccured on the BIOS, contact HP technical support because it has to be sent to HP Service Center for a repair of LCD. :smileyhappy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation