Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended

This problem has been persisting for a while now. Whenever I try to turn on my computer, the lights go on like it's booting up, but the screen stays completely blank. Not just dim or black, but off, completely blank. In other words, the computer essentially can't turn on. Any ideas?

32 REPLIES 32
HP Recommended

Nothing? Come on people

HP Recommended

"Come on people"?  Seriously - just check the two monster threads about black screens on notebooks and you'll see that everyone has been flocking (actually, the moderaters migrate us) there.

There are multiple possibilities for your problem including the wrong drivers, older BIOS, GPU problem, soldering problem, etc.  If the screen is just dim and not completely black then it can be a backlight issue.  See if this trick jumpstarts things:  turn on your computer plugged in and with battery.  If it comes up black screen then pull the battery out (computer still on and running off plug).  Then hold the power button until the system shuts down.  Wait about 5-10 seconds then turn the computer back on without the battery installed.

HP Recommended

I had a similar problem with my dv2620tx. The laptop was booting, I could even hear the vista login sound. But no image, nothing. The LCD was on, there was no problem. Just no signal from the GPU (Geforce 8400m gs).

I found somebody that fixed for me because HP Romania refused to service my laptop.

The problem was with the GPU's memory.

Try to hook it up with an external display.

HP Recommended

Dear florvas,

if your laptop dosen't screen anything at all ( not even faint image) .. you can do few things to figure out your problem..

1. Observe your laptop's HDD light activity when you turn on..if is there any activity  then try to connect an external monitor cable to laptop and see is there any screen..

2. if yes then your laptop may have bad lcd flex cable, or bad lcd ..

3. if there is no HDD LIGHT activity then you can do only one thing.. remove RAM cover screw pull out ram and replace again ... if you have 2 ram modules then plug in only one and try ..or it can bad graphic chipset , bad co-processor ..

IF lcd shows image without light then

1. either your FL INVERTER CIRCUIT bad

2. LCD cable..

3. LCD ( due to blew your lcd's ccfl light )

.. GOOD LUCK

HP Recommended

Thanks 1bit! That worked :generic:

HP Recommended

Hi there,

Same problem on a brand new laptop. Whats the sort of cost of repairing the backlight.

I've brought my laptop over to the UK from the USA and therefore unsure if the hardware warranty still applies

HP Recommended

I need to replace my LCD screen on an HP Pavillion notebook which got damaged when I closed the laptop not noticing an object setting on it's keyboard..I have purchased a screen but want to know how to replace it...

If you can help me, much appreciated...

Thanks,

Sam

HP Recommended

I tried the "turn computer on, take battery out, turn computer off then back on" plan without success, but when I turned the computer off, put the battery back in, unplugged the computer from the power suppy, turned the computer back on - the screen came back. I was then able to plug the power cable back in and things still work.

HP Recommended

Hello, 

I have the same problem with my laptop DV7-1240US where the screen is completely blank when i press the pwr button on the laptop, however i have noticed that the light on the buttons for caps lock and num lock keep blinking intermently, i can hear the fans running but the HDD light is not blinking at all.

I have tried reseating both memory sticks for the laptop, i have also tried reseating the hard drive but the screen still blank when powering up, i have also tried to remove the battery and unplugg the pwr cord then press the pwr button to drain the pwr from the laptop but still no luck, i have also tried to boot it up by using only the pwr cord ( without the battery ) but still not able to get the screen to come back on 

Any suggestions would be appreciated 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.