HP Pavilion g7 Notebook sleeps when I close the lid, even though it's set to "do nothing" (2034 Views)
Top Student
Kenny_74
Message 1 of 10 (2,034 Views)

HP Pavilion g7 Notebook sleeps when I close the lid, even though it's set to "do nothing"

I recently purchased an HP Pavilion g7 Notebook with Windows 7 on a 64-bit system. When I close the lid, it goes into sleep mode, even though I have it set to "do nothing". Any way around this, or do I need to return it?

Tutor
bcas400g
Message 2 of 10 (2,027 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion g7 Notebook sleeps when I close the lid, even though it's set to "do nothing&qu

You may have already tried this, but if you right click on the power/batter icon, then click POWER OPTIONS, then  on 'Choose what closing the lid does',  you can set it how you it to behave here.

If you already did this, I would suggest using the Chat option in the HP support manager, and see what they have to say. It's pretty easy and they are VERY helpful. 

It sounds like you and I have the same machine, is yours an AMD A6, Pewter color?

Top Student
Kenny_74
Message 3 of 10 (2,022 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion g7 Notebook sleeps when I close the lid, even though it's set to "do nothing&am

Sounds like we do have the same machine. Do you have a similar problem when closing the lid, or does it work like it's suppose to?

Yes, I changed the settings to "do nothing" after I first closed the lid and it went into sleep mode. Unfortunately, it had no effect. Here's a screen grab of my settings....

I guess I will give the chat a try. Thanks for the suggestion. 

Tutor
bcas400g
Message 4 of 10 (2,019 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion g7 Notebook sleeps when I close the lid, even though it's set to "do nothing&am

I have not tried that setting, but I have messed around with the power settings. post back after you do the support chat.

Thanks!

Top Student
Kenny_74
Message 5 of 10 (2,016 Views)

Wow, what a headache. After two chat sessions with support totaling 2hrs that entailed downloading a BIOS update and reinstalling my Power Manager utility (all for a brand new Notebook? :smileyfrustrated: ), it has been determined by support that I have exhausted all known fixes and they want me to perform system recovery. Can't say I'm willing to do something so drastic for such a small problem. I'll probably be a little more  wary of purchasing any HP products in the future. 

Tutor
bcas400g
Message 6 of 10 (2,010 Views)

well,

not sure what to say, but I'd do some more research and see if anyone else has issues like this regardless of the manufacturer. 

also, if you have to restore to factory, just do a windows backup first, then when you reinstall you can reload all yoru personal stuff from that backup. 

good luck!

Student
Fangheart25
Message 7 of 10 (1,521 Views)

I am having the same problem with my dv6. It worked at first then it started going into hibernate. I have had nothing but problems with the HP software on my BRAND NEW laptop. I have had issues with the fingerprint reader and beats software as well. I don't mean to rant I just hope to get HP to put out some good updates for their software. 

Top Student
Kenny_74
Message 8 of 10 (1,516 Views)

As of this writing, not only does my g7 Notebook still have this problem, but it is also in the shop getting the cooling fan replaced - after ony 11 months of use. Needless to say, I'll never buy another product from HP. I owned a Toshiba for 5 years and it never gave me any problems. That's what I'll be going back to once this HP inevitably takes a permanent nose dive.  

Student
Timesscript
Message 9 of 10 (56 Views)

I have spent many hours on this to finally find the solution, and I registered just to post this.

In Control Panel go to "Energy Star" OR "Power Options"

On the left, next to your "power plan" choose "Change plan settings"

Click "Change advanced power settings"

Choose the (+) next to "Power buttons and lid"

Choose the (+) next to "Lid close action"

Change all options there to "do nothing"

This is different than just changing the setting in power options!

I hope this helps someone.

Top Student
Kenny_74
Message 10 of 10 (52 Views)

Followed your instructions and found that both of those options are already set to "do nothing." But thanks for trying.

As of this writing, not only am I experiencing the same problem with closing the lid, but the cooling fan that I replaced went out again after less than a month. I was not about the fork over another $100+ to have the fan replaced again, so I removed the plastic venting directly below the fan with a pair of wire cutters to allow more air to enter the laptop, then bought a $5 external cooling fan for the laptop to sit on top of. My temps are now below what they were when I was still using the internal cooling fan, so I would definitely reccomend this method for anyone having similar issues with their fan. It's cheap and ugly, but it works better than what HP had to offer and you don't have to wait to get your laptop back from the shop. How embarrassing for HP.

Like I said before, never again will I purchase an HP product. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation