HP Pavilion laptop backlight or lcd inverter problem? (56528 Views)
Student
dragos21
Message 1 of 12 (56,528 Views)

HP Pavilion laptop backlight or lcd inverter problem?

Hi! I have a problem wiht my laptop. There is no backlight, but if I for example...shine a flashlight on it, I can sort of see well enough to operate it. When I turn it on, the light goes off after about 5 seconds. If I hit the standby button for example, and then re-activate it...the light will come back on for a very short time. The light is the only problem, otherwise the computer works just fine. If I hook it up to a monitor, it works perfectly. Is this a problem with the backlght itself or with the LCD inverter? Where can I buy an lcd inverter from?

Thanks

Grad Student
necrophyte
Message 2 of 12 (56,486 Views)

Re: HP Pavilion laptop backlight or lcd inverter problem?

its the backlight.

i had the same issue twice (even after it had been repaired/display replaced because of that reason already) on my former nx9030.

if your notebook's still under warranty, you can have it repaired for free. if not, you can try repairing it yourself (search for your model number and backlight - theres certainly some instructions on doing that) by cutting or grinding off a tip on the lower side of the display that actually turns the backlight off when closing the lid.

else you can try opening the lid completely, as far as it can be opened (180°+), and then booting - that way it should stay on. just dont shake or move it afterwards as this could make it go off again.

Honor Student
amanparmar004
Message 3 of 12 (56,137 Views)

i am also facing similar problems.

i own a dv 2910us. i bought it year and half ago

but from last few days i'm facing a peculiar problem

the backlight flickers a lot

at times it just goes off and never comes back however i can see the screen if i put it in light

i tried to alter the settings, but no luck

i even tried to alter the settings but even that didnt work out

please help

Honor Student
amanparmar004
Message 4 of 12 (56,136 Views)

here's another thing

i suspect that it has something to do with playing of videos

Honor Student
escapism2to1
Message 5 of 12 (55,798 Views)

My HP Pavilion dv7-1285dx is less than 8 months old and it's been working beautifully until a couple of days ago.  I tilted the monitor back slightly to adjust and the screen went completely dim...almost black.  Like the others in this thread, if I put it under bright light, I can make out what's on the screen and even execute commands.  But the screen only goes back to its normal brightness after I close the lid and allow it to go to sleep, then open the lid and it wakes back up or restart it all together.  It stays bright like normal until I touch the screen to tilt it back.  Funny thing, I can tilt it forward without it going dim/black....just not backward.

Do you all think it's the inverter or backlight shortage?  It's still under warranty so guess I can just send it to HP or my warranty holder, but it is quite unnerving to think my brand new laptop is having issues like this for absolutely no reason.

:-/

Tutor
Bigfoot468
Message 6 of 12 (55,526 Views)

Your problem sounds just as if a wire or loose connection is causing your problem, not the inverter or backlight............ Have Hp check it out to repair.....

Honor Student
hsb12354
Message 7 of 12 (42,462 Views)

My hp laptop backup removed

Student
Lady1
Message 8 of 12 (42,280 Views)

I am have a problem with my lap tops back light.  The people at Office Depot said they have never seen any thing like it.

The back light will not come on if the power source is plugged in.  However it will still charge my battery.

If I unplug the power source and run off the battery the back light works until the battery is completely gone.

I then can plug power back in and it charges battery but then must unplug to have back light and run off battery.

Any help out there for this problem.  As I said Office Depot doesn't have a clue.

Top Student
shalua_dareaper
Message 9 of 12 (40,089 Views)

i was using my HP Pavilion G6 then suddenly i started smelling something burning then my laptop went off. i quickly removed my battery since i was running it on battery then checked my laptop and discovered that the part the inverter is had melted a bit.. what could be the problem? and does the warranty cover that?

Student
nadyanico
Message 10 of 12 (38,516 Views)

I am having the exact problem with mine (screen goes dim, can still KINDA see it, will come back on if I unplug it, etcc.), and I just got it a week or so ago, so luckily it is under warranty & I can return it. But it's still perplexing...and irritating, as I have already transferred all my files, installed additional software, etc. Have you figured anyhing out yet? Obviously other people are having this same problem, based on the number of views your inquiry has gotten. Any advice before

i return this stupid thing?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation